twenty Four

"Oh Sal," Lisa cupped the side of his prosthetic affectionately in her palm. In an instant, a smile was on her face. "Your father and I have been thinking of you nonstop. How are you feeling, sweetie?"

   Sal relished the unfamiliar feeling of a mother's touch, subconsciously leaning into her hand. "I'm alright." He said. "Please don't worry too much."

   Lisa shook her head, chuckling warmly. "I know you'll be alright, kiddo. You're a strong boy."

   Sal smiled wide, eyes squinting through the holes in his prosthetic.

   "I wanted to make sure I got to see you before you went to bed for the night." Lisa caringly brushed her fingers through his hair. "Get a lot of rest, okay? It's important, buddy."

   "I will, " Sal affirmed, feeling more motivated to recover than he was previously.

  "Your dad will be up here in a minute or two." She squeezed his hand. "I have to take the boys home."

   "Ok," He glowed, eyes bright, "Tell them I said good night."

   "Of course, honey." She adjusted his pillow and gently pulled his blanket up further. "I'll see you tomorrow."

__

   "Rat poison?" Henry shook his head, eyes red and unfocused. "Really, Sal? After everything that we've been through, the least you can do is avoid ingesting the most potent form of rodent killer on the market."

   Sal drew his gaze away, frowning deeply, "I'm sorry..." He mumbled. "I didn't know, really."

   Henry paused for a moment, slouching back in the chair beside his son's bed. "Honestly, " his voice wavered, "What would your mom have thought?"

   "I-" Sal shivered, swallowing hard,  "Come on, Dad..." He pleaded.

  "You're always looking for attention," He huffed, "always trying to stand in the spotlight. Diane would've-"

   "Please, stop!" Sal clasped his hands over his ears. I can't do this right now. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to..." He squeezed his eyes shut. "Please, I don't want to talk about mom."

    His father scoffed, "You must not care about her anymore, is that it?"

   "No!" Sal's eyes widened. "No, of course, I care! It just... Makes me upset when you say those things."

   "Don't you think I'm upset?" Henry raised his voice, standing up, "Don't you think your mother was upset when-" He turned his head as the wooden door opened.

   Travis entered the room and stiffened upon seeing the tearful look in Sal's eyes.

   His attention shifted to Henry, who was standing rigidly above his son with balled fists.

   "What did you say to him?" Travis furrowed his brows. "What's going on?"

   "I-it's nothing," Sal answered for his father, feeling a trembling chill within him.

   "Can you stop getting involved, kid?" Henry spoke with his eyes shifted away. "This isn't about you."

   "It's not about you either." He narrowed his eyes. "All we should be worried about is Sal."