IX Nico BEGINNING A QUEST

I finally got them to change the beds in the Hades Cabin. They once resembled coffins. Polished mahogany frames, brass railings, bloodred velvet pillows and blankets. I guess they thought that child of Hades are vampires. That was soon changed when Jason asked if there was anything that needed to be changed in my cabin. I told him about the dilemma. He quickly fixed it. Now since I couldn't sleep, I lay awake on the new pitch black sheets. They had a gold trim around the sides. The actual bed frames were a combination of death and jewels. Black as death frames with gold, silver, topaz, ruby, and many more jewels engraved in the obsidian frame. They also had bones engraved into it as well. Not real bones but like the plastic ones you can get from a store. Only upgraded by our Hephaestus cabin. The pillows were the same as the sheets.
I am basically thinking about anything and everything. The quest, Isabelle, really anything that was going on right now.
This has been a weird week indeed. I became friends with Will Solace. I became friends with the Stoll brothers. I befriended basically everyone that I had pushed away. I also befriended a few people outside that wall, as well. I became friends with Isabelle. At least, I think we're friends. I love talking to her. We hangout with each other all the time. I make her happy. She makes me happy. I thought that was impossible for children of Hades, but look at Hazel. She is Centurion of the the Fifth Cohort and dating the praetor,Frank Zhang. She made her second life better and happier so why can't I try. I don't know if I want to just be friends with her though. I don't want to ruin our friendship. I wish I could just ask her but I can't. That would put us in an awkward position. Besides I doubts she feels the same anyways.
As I drive myself crazy over it, I get a knock at the door. I pull myself off the bed and open the door. I am greeted with Annabeth at the door. She states casually but firm,"Hey, Nico. Just letting you know all head counselors are to meet in front of bunker 9 in 30 minutes. Leo had something that might help us on the quest."
"Hey, Annabeth. Thanks. Are we leaving for the quest today?" I ask as she starts to walk off.
"Yes, as soon as Leo gives his gift. Oh, and bring anything you may need for the quest." She tosses me a drawstring bag. "This bag is enchanted to be lightweight and bottomless. You can put anything in it."
"Ok, thanks for the bag, Annabeth." I reply as she walks off. I close the door and start to blink. I am really not a morning person.
After I change, I start to pack. There wasn't much that I had really to pack. After I put some extra cloths in my bag, I find a little statue. The statue. The one Bianca gave her life for. It was a mini statue of the god, Hades. Our dad. I don't know why I kept it but it provided comfort. Maybe because it was a gift from my sister. Before she died. I tried not to think about it. It brought pain and anguish and I didn't want to deal with that right now. I throw the statue in my bag with the cloths and close it.
After I change and pack, I head to Bunker 9. I saw Percy and Isabelle walking up ahead so I run up to catch them.
"Hey guys, care if I walk with you?" I ask putting casualness into my voice.
"Sure, so are you ready for the quest?" Percy asks. I can tell he is trying to sound upbeat but Isabelle looks terrified. He drapes his arm over her shoulders and says,"It'll be fine."
I add,"Yea and besides you have Percy and me to protect you. So you don't have to worry." She gave us both grateful looks. Percy gives me a thanks look and I just nod back.
Once we're there, we see there are not many people here, yet. Annabeth comes up to us and says,"Hi." She informs us that we are to stand with Chiron when Leo gives his gift. I wonder where Jason and Piper are. No sooner then my thought is said, Jason and Piper come over to us. They say their hellos'. Then Jason states what we are all thinking. He states,"Where is everybody? I thought we were to meet here in 30 minutes."
"Well, most are last-minute people so they will be here at the last minute." Annabeth states distastefully. I can tell she would rather get the meeting done and over with so we can start the quest. We stand there in silence until we are greeted with more kids. As Annabeth had said, they started to pour in at the last minute. Some looked like they had just rolled out of bed. Other were half ready; some forgetting to brush their hair, or forgetting to put on shoes. Other looked dressed but not at all awake. After all, it was exactly 7:30 on a Saturday. Everyone was set on sleeping in. One of the few days we had that we could do absolutely nothing on. I felt kind of bad for them. Although, I was really worried for Izzy, Isabelle. Stop that, I told myself. You don't worry for anybody. Your just friends, thats all. Ya just friends, I think to myself. Or are we?
Then the meeting starts to flare to life. I have Isabelle on my left and Piper on my right. Beside Piper is Jason and beside Isabelle is Percy. Annabeth is on the other side of Percy. Chiron gives a speech then gestures to Leo who whistles really loud. It could have been heard to Olympus, no doubt. Then something big and shiny swooped down from the sky. It was Festus. At least, I think that was his name. Leo announces that he can change shape into a boat, a dragon,(the ones who can fly, of course). Basically anything within reason. Chiron also states,"You can use you pegasus' as well. They will be another way to travel if needed."
Then he gives his a 'safe travels' speech. I just smirk. We're demigods. We never have safe travels.
On that happy note, everyone starts to disperse. Chiron gives us a few supplies. Water, ambrosia, nectar, first aid kits, and some food for the trip. He also gave some mortal money and drachmas to us in case we needed it.
He gave most of this to Isabelle who looked like she was either about to past out or like she was trying to swallow a golf ball. Or possibly both. I felt a twinge of sympathy. She hasn't even been here a month yet, and already she has to go on a quest. Chiron told her to be strong and brave and all that but I could sense that he was worried himself.
She was assigned to be the quest's leader since it was about her but I could tell she was steeling herself. Once Chiron left, Percy started to say soothing things to Isabelle. She simply waved him off and said,"I know you are trying to help but please, stop. I have to go to the cabin to get something, I'll be back." She looked at me expectantly. I realized she was silently willing me to come with her. Why? Why would she want me, the son of Hades, to come with? I decided to ponder that later.
I asked,"Do you want me to come with you?" I saw for the briefest moment that there was a look of relief to past her face. She quickly shook the look off and managed to say,"Sure, guys after we get back we can start the quest, ok. Piper if you could change Festus into something lighter, that would be a plus. And everyone get their pegasus. Nico and I will meet everyone at Half-Blood Hill and then we can set off." They all said,"ok" then we left.
Once we got to the cabin, she stopped. She hesitated before walking in. I followed her and asked,"Is there something wrong?" I immediately regretted it. Of course something's wrong. She has been handed a suicidal quest and has to lead it.
"Nico will you help me?" she blurted out. I was caught off guard. "With the quest, I mean. I want to be brave and confident like the rest of you but I don't know how to. I am not a leader. Now I have been handed, possibly the most dangerous quest, to lead. I don't get it. Why not Annabeth who has the brains and tactics? Why not Percy who has the experience?" She looked on the verge of tears. I didn't know how to console her. Since my own method was to deal with my problems alone, and push anyone who got to close back. It was difficult. So I gave it my best shot.
"Listen, my voice had become surprisingly soft and gentle, I know it may seem you aren't a leader. You might think you can't be one but the truth is, you can be a leader. You are brave. Sure, Annabeth might be smart but that doesn't mean you aren't smart as well. Percy may have experience but you can learn. Besides I think you're forgetting something." My voice sounded foreign to my own ears. It was like being someone else there for a second. Then she asked,"What am I forgetting?"
I answered with,"You have Percy, me and 3 other demigods who will protect you. Besides you asked me to help you. I will help you, Isabelle. I will support you no matter what. We will get through this. Together?"
"Together." She said at last. She walked over to her cloths and rummaged through them for a second. She pulled out a photo album. All I saw was a blue trim before she stuffed it in her bag.
Then I realized something. The way I talked to her. That wasn't me. Nico di Angelo. I don't talk to anyone like that. I rarely gave pep talks to someone. Especially on a matter like this. I was changing. I knew it. The only question now was: Will this change make me better or worse?

When we got to the stables she started to have a metal conversation with the horse. I went over to mine and started to open the gate.
My pegasus was pure black. No other color on him whatsoever. Since death is associated with black it makes sense. I named him Shadow. I thought it was appropriate and he seemed to like the name so it stuck. Isabelle pegasus, on the other hand, was a very dark blue, almost black. Her name literally meant water in Latin. Her pegasus was named Aqua. Her pegasus loved her and the name, so it stuck. How you end up with a blue pegasus, I still didn't get it. But it was fond of Isabelle so she got it. Once Isabelle was ready, we left the stables.
It was a short walk to the hill so we walked in silence. 15 feet ahead of us, I saw them. They were waiting. Isabelle put a smile on and asked,"Is everybody ready?" They nodded and she said,"Well, let's go save the oracle then, shall we?" she then proceeded to get on her horse and fly. After a minute, the rest of us did too.
"This is going to be a long trip," I muttered to myself. And with that I took off.