six

miyoung brushed her wavy black hair behind her ear. "is something going on?" she approached jake. she glanced over at the tall girl, her obvious full face of cakey makeup caught her attention. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything but I couldn't help but notice the tension over here."

"it's nothing, don't worry about it miyoung." the corners of his eyes crinkled.

"are you sure?" miyoung took a step back from the other who was giving her a glare.

jake nodded, and took her by the wrist, dragging her away from the table. "stay close to your little friends, girls like her aren't worth talking to."

-

"...cheerleading tryouts start tomorrow so those who wish to be on the team, good luck!" the announcements ended with a harsh piercing sound. "sorry," the announcer apologized before getting off the loudspeaker.

"are you trying out?" jake leaned over towards her desk.

she nodded, "usually it's not my thing but it would look great on my college application. they look into extracurricular activities, clubs, and volunteer work. im already part of the English tutoring committee so I think it would work out if I tri-" he placed his hand gently over her lips.

"so basically you're trying out."

"yeah, sorry I got carried away," she laughed softly. "wanna come watch? just promise not to laugh, cheerleading and gymnastics has never been my thing."

"sure, ill be there. do you mind if I invite jay? he doesn't have any plans and I was going to get food with him but this sounds more fun."

she shook her head, "I don't mind his company. are you sure you'd rather watch than get food? it's really not that interesting."

"yeah im sure, it sounds interesting. just remember to do your best and have fun! it won't be enjoyable if you don't have any fun while trying."

she nodded and laughed, "ill be busy trying not to make a fool of myself."