Part 10 - Shadow the Exposition-Giving Hedgehog

Shadow sat inside the cozy-looking cottage that Gadget lived in. He was seated before the fireplace with Sonic, Silver, and Knuckles. Tails was elsewhere, borrowing a neighbor's workshop to repair the diffuser. They had been able to recover the ruby and escape the chaos, as well as everyone else in the Resistance and Eggman, but the base was completely destroyed. Huge amounts of Phantom energy still remained, leaving behind oddities and anomalies all over the place, making it an unsafe environment to be in.

Despite all that had happened, the Resistance had not given up their mission.

"I don't think Eggman's going to want to bother with the ruby anytime soon." Silver said, almost joshing.

The others smiled, but Shadow's expression suddenly darkened.

"That mech suit wasn't Eggman's only weapon." He said, drawing concerned glances from his friends.

"What do you mean, Shadow?" Rouge asked, sitting on the couch behind him with Amy.

"Eggman has a work-in-progress doomsday device in his basement. It's only a matter of time before he completes it and needs something to power it."

"How did you find that out?!" Sonic exclaimed in surprise.

"Infinite was so mad; he was beside himself with getting back at Eggman." Shadow answered, crossing his arms. "Another thing I found out during our bonding, time-bending experience."

"How did you know he wasn't making stuff up? Are you saying he was already mad at Eggman before the diffuser was destroyed?" Knuckles exclaimed, eyeing the hedgehog wearily.

"Well, Eggman had already betrayed him. He refused to separate Infinite from the ruby because when combined, the ruby was a far more powerful energy source. Unfortunately for the doctor, Infinite was still able to tap into the ruby's powers."

"It's a shame we weren't quick enough to diffuse him." Amy sighed. "Otherwise, that would have worked out perfectly."

"We need to destroy the ruby as soon as possible before he does any more damage." Sonic's tone was grim, and all but Shadow nodded in agreement.

Knuckles studied the dark hedgehog's aloof expression as he gazed into the fire. "Don't you agree, Shadow?"

Just then Tails stepped into the room. Everyone's attention turned to him, and the two-tailed fox smiled apologetically. "The machine's not done yet, but I do need the ruby."

"It's in the cellar with Gadget." Sonic directed for him.

"Thanks," Tails replied, and he left the room as the conversation returned to Eggman's doomsday device.