chapter 10: Did You Sleep With Him?

X

Did You Sleep With Him?

Warning: strong language, mentions of suicide.

“Did you sleep with him?”

The question echoed around the lobby, bouncing off walls and lobby-goers and the one secretary and the person it was directed to. The speaker jumped off the top of the stairs and landed in a kneeling position on the ground, before bouncing forwards and right in Percy’s path.

As if Percy hadn’t heard her, she repeated, “Did you slee—”

Percy cut her off with a hand to the face, pushing her out of his way to the secretary. “Hey, Chase.”

“Good morning, Percy.” At the start of a more normal conversation, the rest of the people milling about resumed doing whatever they were doing and stopped staring at Percy and the midget who had screamed the loudly inappropriate question. “Did you find a place to sleep?”

“Yeah,” He nodded, signing the sheet on the corner of her desk to show that he’d checked back in at the hotel. “I fell asleep when we were waiting for the rain to stop.” Her grey eyes flashed excitedly, and then he remembered that Thalia was still rubbing off on her. “I just woke up half an hour ago.”

“Those aren’t the clothes you left in yesterday,” She noted, leaning over the desk to check out the rest of Percy’s not-Percy-like outfit. “A button down and dress pants? You look very fashionable.”

He touched his collar, though the top two buttons were undone. “My clothes were still wet, so he offered me his own.”

“Such a gentleman.”

Thalia finally grabbed a firm hold of Percy’s flexible wrist and threw him off her face. “Don’t do that.”

“Then don’t ask stupidly awkward questions.” He ran a hand through his bed head.

“But you showed up the morning after” Percy winced at her words, “wearing clothes that you most definitely do not own. What am I supposed to think?”

“I’m interested, too,” Annabeth sat forwards, her hands folded beneath her. “How did it go?”

He had to backtrack quite a bit to remember the morning events of yesterday. “We went to the City Hall Loop, and he really liked that.”

“They let you in? That’s amazing!”

Percy’s sheepish smile corrected her thinking. “And after, we got pizza. And then it was raining, so we walked outside, and got wet, and…” He trailed off, frowning at the memory. And he stopped me from having a panic attack. Holy shit.

“And?” Thalia was actually worried now, the crease in her brow furrowing.

Percy blinked back into reality. “And it was raining too hard, so we decided to hang out at his hotel until the storm let up.” He nodded, pleased with his bare summary of events.

“So you didn’t do the do?”

“No.”

“Not even a little bit?”

“No.”

“Did you kiss?”

“Why are you not in the least weirded out that you’re talking about your own brother?”

“Percy, we’ve already had this conversation.” She clenched and unclenched her hands in front of her. “Why are you so slow with making moves on people?”