Chapter 24: We Don't Talk About New Years'

XXIV

We Don't Talk About New Years'

Warning: strong language, mentions of abuse, mentions of suicide.

"Repeat your accusation."

Percy folded his hands in his lap. "Gabriel Ugliano is guilty of murder and attempted murder."

"Explain your accusation, part by part."

"The murder part is simple. He drove my mother to suicide through constant verbal and physical abuse, neither of which I was able to prevent."

"Are you prepared to stand by that statement?"

"Yes."

"Explain the second part."

"The attempted murder happened the night before that. I was filling up the tub, because he always wanted to take a bath before going to sleep. He came into the bathroom and," His voice caught in his throat. The listening legal officials' gazes softened as they patiently waited. "He pushed me into the tub and held me under the water by my neck until I passed out." He stopped.

"How did you survive?"

"My mother told me she found me right after he left the bathroom. She pulled me out of the water and resuscitated me right there." He took a deep breath.

"Are you prepared to stand by that statement?"

"Absolutely."

The lawyer jotted down a few more notes before checking the time. "That's all I needed for today." He turned off the recorder, standing and shaking Percy's hand. "You're going to be alright, Percy." The other three with him also shook his hand before vacating Dionysus' office.

The doctor himself sat, looking mildly surprised - which, on a man like him, meant he was stunned. He rubbed his mouth with a calloused hand before scribbling on a pad with his pen. "Are you alright?" He finally asked.

Percy looked over from where he'd been staring at the door. He rubbed the back of his head, careful to avoid the ponytail he'd tied up. "I think so." He nodded once. "Can I go back to my room?"

"You may."

He gave a small thank you and climbed up the steps in the hallway to his haven. He didn't want to throw up in Dionysus' apartment, because he was pretty sure something was going to come up and he didn't want to find out what in front of someone.

He locked the door behind him and went straight for the jug of water in the fridge, chugging the entire thing. Gods, he was dizzy. Too much talking about bad subjects in one day, he decided. He checked the phone he'd left on his counter.

Missed call: Thals

Missed call: Annabeth Chase

He decided to call the blond first, knowing she'd have a more rational look on things than the flame headed blue streak. "Hello?"

"Percy? How did it go?"

He leaned against the counter edge. "They just wanted me to repeat the facts, and then they're taking the evidence to the judge who presided over my case."

"They're going to clear your name?"

"They'll try." He felt like she somehow knew he had shrugged. "How is Tyson?"

She laughed on the other end. "Missing you every day. He still sleeps by your picture every night."

"Are you making him fat?"