Chapter 1

Kakashi's eyes cracked opened and turned a tired eye toward the window. Though the curtains were drawn, a narrow stream of early sunlight reached his face and he sighed.

Even now, I can never sleep in leisurely as I'd like, can I?

He rubbed his eyes and rolled over to look at the figure still sleeping soundly beside him. For a moment, his eyes took in her resting beauty: the way her sunset-red hair draped cascaded from her head to come together in a loose braid down her back; her tranquil expression with her dusky-violet hidden behind closed lids in a dream; the allure of her bare shoulder and neck; the curve of her figure as she lay on her side; and the familiar, steady rhythm of her breathing.

His lips turned upward in a faint smile as he drew closer to her, pressing his body into hers as he planted a soft kiss on her shoulder and the base of her neck. Sliding his arm around her, his hand rested on her stomach. Beneath his hand, a small, firm swelling could be felt, and he gingerly stroked the lump. As if reacting to his affection, a faint, tiny movement stirred from within.

Good morning, little one.

"Mmfmmm..." Natsumi exhaled and moaned quietly with her eyes still closed. "...kashi..."

Kakashi chuckled and kissed her shoulder once more, then nuzzled his face near hers. "Sorry. Did I wake you?"

Her head shook slowly and she reached down to place her hand over his. "...baby kicked my bladder."

"So it was my fault." Kakashi glanced down at her stomach.

"I don't... mind." She mumbled and nearly fell asleep before she finished speaking.

"He's strong already if he's still so small but able to wake you up."

"She." Natsumi mumbled sleepily. "She's going to be a girl."

Kakashi looked at her face and raised one brow. "We don't know that for sure."

"I just... know."

"Hm." Kakashi drew her closer and closed his eyes, his breath tickling her ear as he whispered. "Are you saying that because you are in love with the tiny baby dresses you see at the shops and you want a girl to dress up? Or because of your intuition?"

Still keeping her eyes closed, she puffed her cheeks. "...Rude."

"Well, I'll be content with whatever our baby is."

"Mmmfmmmmbp." Natsumi mumbled and tugged his hand closer to her chest to bring him closer. "...You're... so warm."

"It's early, but would you like me to make breakfast?"

"Yethabgr..." Natsumi mumbled again but she fell asleep before she could say more.

"I'll take that as a no."

Kakashi chuckled and leaned in to kiss her cheek. He watched her sleep for a moment before he carefully slid out of bed. He knew his wife was normally an early riser and diligent in her duties as a Jonin squad leader, but her pregnancy and the sickness that came with it had forced his hand to use his authority as Hokage to place her on leave. She had complained, of course, but even she acknowledged her own limitations. He'd been worried for her, as she'd lost a bit of weight from her constant retching and was unable to eat or drink anything, but after the first months of pregnancy had passed, so did her sickness. In its place was tiredness, but Kakashi didn't mind. It allowed him more opportunity to catch her sleeping face and it was a welcome shift from how miserable she had been before.