chapter three

—𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 at the table was on their edge of their seats, waiting for more information

—𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 at the table was on their edge of their seats, waiting for more information. Kaz sat back in his seat.

"Did you, now?" Kaz questions.

"It's for the owner of the Orchid. Says they require the services of a Heartrender. Tonight."

"A Heartrender?" Anya questions.

"Why?" Kaz asks.

"Doesn't say. Just they need it before midnight." Anya looks over at Kaz. She can see the gears in his brain turning, working out the situation in front of him.

"You don't bring in a Heartrender unless you need an answer out of someone who isn't willing to talk." Kaz concludes.

"Wonder if it's for the person Dreesen brought in?" Anya muses.

"That's how we get this job before anyone else." Kaz says. "Bring Dreesen a Heartrender." Kaz gets up and starts to walk away.

"Boss, just one problem. Pekka Rollins knows."

"Pekka Rollins." Kaz whispers.

Oh no, Anya thinks. She can almost see Kaz's face harden, even though his back is to her. She knows this isn't going to end well. Anya doesn't know the full issue Kaz has with Pekka, but she knows it's bad. She follows Kaz as he leaves, the rest of the crows following behind.

🃑🃑🃑

Getting the Heartrender wasn't easy. Kaz had to send in Anya to complete the job, knowing she would be the one who could accomplish it. She did. Anya's ability to make men do her what she wants works everytime. Granted it makes Kaz jealous, but he would never say that out loud. Kaz and Anya walk ahead of the group, Inej and Jesper flanking them, the Heartrender in the middle.

The power radiated off Kaz and Anya as they walked through the streets. A smirk present on Anya's face as she walked. She knew the power she had and she knew no one would dare mess with her. To her right she notices Kaz take a look at the Heartrender, to make sure she was still there. Before turning back around fully, he shared a smirk with Anya, before turning straight forward.

"I really appreciate the new business, but you've only paid for an hour of my time, and I have to be back at the Orchid."

"The Orchid isn't safe tonight. You're lifes in danger with this job. Make yourself scarce for a few days afterwards." Kaz tells her.

"Mr.Brekker, are you threatening me? Really? Even if I'm nice, my boss will call the standwatch on you."

"It's not me you're in danger with. It's Pekka Rollins." Kaz says.

"My boss would call the standwatch on him as well."

"Which is why your boss is already dead." Anya says.