Five

Kataru grabbed my hand, and we ran. All traces of the chill left my body as we bolted down the hallway.

"Which way?" I asked as we came to a split corridor.

"We just need to find the exit," Kataru huffed. "Any exit."

"Which way did you come?"

"I think..." his eyes scrunched. "This way."

He pulled me down the left corridor, and we burst into a large chamber. Several blizzard samurai were there, and they all turned their heads when we burst in.

I readied the sword I'd stolen from Vex. Kataru morphed into a massive bear as the ice warriors charged.

Kataru took out three with one vicious swipe of his claws, sending them flying into the wall. I stabbed another in the neck, and he burst into shards of ice.

I had to admit, that felt good.

Two more battalions of guards swarmed in, backing Kataru and me towards the wall. My hand on the sword started to feel sweaty.

Bear-Kataru dropped his shoulders closer to the ground and snorted. I grabbed onto his fur and hauled myself up. Before I could even steady myself on his shaggy back, he charged at the guards, sending them flying like bowling pins. The spears they threw all missed, but some came close enough that I had to bat them aside with Vex's sword.

We made it to another corridor, this one slightly narrower. The palace shook every time Kataru's heavy paws struck the ground. I heard shouts and risked a glance over my shoulder.

"They're gaining!"

He grunted, picking up the speed. We ran, and ran, and ran....

And then...

We ran into a dead end.

And the blizzard samurai were still closing in.