Chapter 44

Sam comes home to Yemi watching Netflix in the living room. She sits up on the couch to make space for him as he walks towards her. "How did it go?"

"He didn't show up."

She furrows her eyebrows.

"Jasmine came without him."

Yemi curls her lip at the thought of Jasmine being there alone with him. Sam plops down on the couch right next to her and looks into her eyes.

"She said he wasn't ready to see me, yet."

Yemi shakes her head at the information. Sam studies her expression, knowing she's feeling some type of way about it. He rubs her thigh, never taking his eyes off of her.

"As soon as I meet him, I'm going to have him take that test."

"What if she isn't lying? What would that mean for us?"

"What do you mean, what would that mean for us?"

"Well, you're going to be busy building a relationship with him. So you won't have time for me."

"I will always make time for you. No matter what happens in my life."

Yemi nods, trying to believe his words. Sam grabs her chin and kisses her lips.

"We don't have to talk about that right now. We'll handle that when the time comes."

"...Okay."

Sam lays his head down on Yemi's lap, looking straight to the TV. "What is this?"

"The Baker and the Beauty. You wanna watch something else?"

"Nah, I'm good."

Yemi takes off his cap, and starts to rub his head. "You haven't found a barber, yet?"

Sam chuckles. "What're you trying to say?"

She giggles before kissing his neck. "You still look good."

"Yeah, yeah. How about you tell V to come back and cut my hair?"

"Have you spoken to her?"

"No. All she's gonna do is talk shit. I'm not trying to hear that. Have you talked to her?"

"Yeah. She called us dysfunctional."

Sam chuckles. "I start counseling tomorrow."

Yemi smiles. "I was starting to think you weren't going to go."

"I told you I would. I called P that next day. He was just waiting for me to tell him when I was ready. I just had a lot of shit to take care of last week with the new gym. And I was busy trying to convince you to spend the night with me, too."

Yemi looks at the TV, and Sam looks up at her, realizing she's trying to avoid the conversation.

"Your silence is loud, Ma. What's up?"

She looks back at him and hesitates. "I don't think I should stay the night just yet. I don't want another incident to happen."

He sighs. "So that's why you've been avoiding coming over the whole week?"

She nods. "I've been missing you though," she says sincerely.

They stare at each for a moment before Sam stands up. "You're hungry?" He asks, diverting the conversation.

"...No," Yemi answers, shaking her head as Sam walks to the kitchen.

___

NEW YORK