Chapter 4

Sub Rosa

The vast fields of sown wheat, ploughed and planked laterally into a pattern, was swaddled in a veil of livid and tangibly thick fog. It drifted and dangled engulfing the entire village into its arms, for the sombre brown trunks of the trees to be wet because of the moisture.

The night sky was obscured by the white blanket, concealing the galaxies from the naked eye as the curtains of vapours drifted along with the wind, clinging and enrobing everything, sparing none.

The time has been for the creation of Almighty to immerse deep into their slumbers and dreams, letting the body retrieve its energy for the day that awaited ahead. But do recall, that the best time for pleasing Allah is to behold oneself from falling into an abyss of torpidity and prostrating before the Mighty Lord, is the middle of the night.

He holds such in His dearest possession, who wake up from their sleep and sacrifice the drowsiness to pray Tahajjud at this time. Opening their hearts and letting Him inundate their souls to become the closest to Him as He opens the doors of blessings for all.

Laila lifted her head from the sujood (prostration), performing tashahhud, the testimony of faith, reciting the verses, her lashes casted downwards. She completed her prayer with the salam, lifting her hands for the dua in front of Allah.

Her shawl wrapped around her head, only her face visible, as it covered her entire body. Though the cold wind outside was enough to seep into the bones, the inside was quite warm with the heater blowing hot air into the room, maintaining the temperature.

Laila folded a corner of the intricately woven praying mat and stood up from her place, after letting her heart out to Him. Her gaze wavered around her vast and spacious room.

She elegantly walked towards her almirah and opened its door, retrieving some small packets from an inner hiding, only she knew existed.

She was midway placing them on her vanity when a small knock on her door, captured her attention and without a second thought she opened the door, welcoming a dainty figure covered under a shawl.

"Laila," she heard her speak affectionately.

Laila passed her a gentle smile, weaving her arms around the other, who returned the gesture.

"You are here, Safiya." Laila stated. "And early, too."

"Are you ready?" The girl, unwrapped her shawl, revealing herself, her doe shaped eyes blinking fervently.

"You're coming along?" Laila wasn't shocked but she did not think that Safiya will show up after making it clear the last time.

"It appears you are quite stubborn. Could not risk letting you leave alone, like last time." The girl passed her a smile. "Now, tell me, are you ready?

"Yes, almost. Is it clear outside?" Laila asked again, rummaging through a bag.

"Yes," Safiya took a seat on her massive bed, looking at her work effortlessly as she placed the packages inside that bag.

"Laila, let me ask Nuh to do it." Laila lifted her head, the creases appearing on her forehead which were a clear indication that she did not appreciate what Safiya said, though she anticipated it. Because Safiya had spoken the same words every time as Laila always rejected the offer politely.

"Why do you always speak the words when you clearly know that I will deny it?" Safiya sighed, slumping backwards on the soft mattress.

"You know it is dangerous." The girl felt bold enough to voice her thoughts again.