13

Chapter 13

A Disaster

Sarah tucked a clump of brown hair behind her ear as she ambled across the massive staircase of the Shah villa. Once again she had been with her mother, listening to her ramble about the wedding she didn't desire to happen. Frustrated and irritated by her nagging regarding the preparations, she finally was granted freedom of rest for the time being.

The anklets tied around her feet jingled with every step she took. Zahida Shah was sitting on a charpoy in the courtyard, reciting Qur'an. She lifted her head and watched Sarah walk towards the kitchen and muttered a quick prayer for her granddaughter.

The kitchen of the Shah villa was bustling with cooks and helpers, preparing a massive meal. The pots clattered as they cooked the favourite dishes of the only one, Daud Shah. His impending arrival was due by the evening. Heavenly aroma of the food drifted in the air as one inhaled the fragrance of the spices.

Laila stood in front of the stove, stirring a wooden spatula in the pot. Dressed in a black khaddar dress, hair tied in a braid as usual, she was too much engrossed in cooking.

"Any help?" Sarah asked whilst covering her head properly with her dupatta and Laila acknowledged her presence amongst the hubbub.

"Thank Allah you're here." She stared at her with gratitude and moved towards her after handing the spatula to one of the helpers.

"Sorry. Mama had something to talk about." She joined Laila on the island where fruits were placed in a basket.

"It's alright. She has assigned many helpers for cleaning the house and few are left to help in the kitchen." She spoke, picking up an apple.

"Cleaning," Sarah scoffed clearly uninterested and followed Laila's pursuit.

"For your wedding." Laila mused, eyes twinkling with mischief as she peeled the apple.

"Oh yes, with Daud." She whispered in Laila's ear and she whipped her head in Sarah's direction almost slicing her finger by the sharp blade of knife.

Laila stared at Sarah with eyes wide open, baffled at her statement. Sarah sliced a piece of her fruit and took a bite from it, smiling her way. And this time Laila knew, that Sarah's action screamed clarity of the situation she will be witnessing in this place soon.

"Hmm. And by any means your mother might hear it, you will not be lucky enough to witness another sunrise." She diced the fruit in her hand fluently, whisper-yelling at her sister.

"Don't worry yourself Laila, we'll handle everything." Sarah huffed at Laila's logical statement.

But how could Sarah knew, that any step countered by the idiotic love birds will render an inevitable destruction, especially for Laila. For it will be her, who will be represented as a sacrificial lamb instead of her sister.

She only shook her head because despite knowing about the blooming affection towards her sister's betrothed, she wished for the matters to be handled normally, no matter how dramatic they appeared to be. She did not wish for her amateurish feelings to be a thorn amongst her rationality.

***

The mirror reflected a beauty adorned in the brightest yellow dress. She brushed the luscious mane, allowing them to flow freely on her back, securing them halfway with a clip. Her fingers worked efficiently as she coated her eyelashes with the mascara as the dark brown eyes glimmered. She tinted her lips with a baby pink lip gloss and pinched her cheeks for the natural blush against her pale white skin.