10| Weekend Trip (Part 3)

"Girl! You best grab that waffle, then get your ass out here," Sato's mom yells at me through the glass doors, waving a broom over her head. 

   If I didn't know any better, I would've thought she was a perfectly healthy, insane old woman with an extensive amount of anger issues.

   I let out a groan as Haru chuckles from beside me, leaning against the white countertop, "Seems like she's taken a liking to you," He states, both of us staring at her as she continues to twirl the broom around in crazy directions. 

   "I never asked for this," I sigh, feeling myself grow tired. I glance at the tray of Eggo waffles, contemplating whether I should listen to her or not. 

   Haru crosses his arms over his chest, eyes lingering on the woman, "Yeah, well, even so, you should probably get out there before she starts World War 3," He smiles, pushing himself off the counter, and saluting me, "Good luck, soldier!" He exclaims before walking off to talk to Hanako and Akira. 

   I sigh, looking around the room to find that Sato still hasn't come down yet. I hope he's okay after last night. 

   "HURRY UP, GIRL!" 

   If this woman was my age and in good health, I'd totally slap her. 

   "Fucking kill me," I mumble to myself, grabbing a waffle and walking out the door. 

   She glares at me, examining my every trait before hitting me over the head with the long stick, "Took ya long enough. Now let's get to work!" She exclaims, leading the way to the garden. 

   I sigh, following her, "Shouldn't you be in bed?" I ask, an eyebrow raised. 

   "And shouldn't ya be stuffin' your face?" She retorts. 

   I stop for a quick moment, feeding the waffle to the dog, which showed up at the most convenient time. He quickly eats it all up, so I spring to my feet, catching up with the woman, "I ate it already," I state, causing her to look back at me with suspicious eyes.   

   "Oh, really? How convenient," She says, stopping in front of a water hose. She picks it up, tossing it to me, "Let me see ya water those plants," She orders, pointing to a flower bed of different colored tulips. 

   I sigh, waiting for her to turn the hose on. When she does, I spray the water all over the flowers, not knowing what I'm supposed to do. 

   "HEY, GIRL! You're going to kill em' if you water the petals!" She yells, causing me to jump, directing the water downwards. A few seconds later, she yells at me again, "DON'T KEEP IT IN ONE SPOT! YOU'LL DROWN THE POOR THING!" taking the hose from my grasp and showing me the proper way to do it. 

   When she hands in back, I do exactly what she did, turning off the water when I think they've had enough. 

   "Well done, girl," She praises, smiling at the tulips, "You're a natural." 

   I frown, looking at the colorful plants, "Watering plants isn't exactly a hard task," I state. 

   She chuckles at my words, "You'd be surprised," she smiles, holding out her empty hand: The other is still holding on to the broom. 

   As I take it, she pulls me next to her, leading me to an empty flower bed. 

   She lets go of my hand, kneeling in front of the pot and putting down the broom. Opening a package of seeds, she takes one out, digging a hole and burying it neatly in the soil. She hands me four of the remaining seeds, saying, "Your turn." 

   I do as she instructed, planting all of my seedlings as she plants the rest. 

   "Why are you showing me how to do this, Matsubara-san?" I ask, patting down the soil with my hands.