Chapter 4 | Daunting Rumors

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Mature content warning for this chapter:

Mild Language, mentions of bullying, racism, and discrimination

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

             A month of high school had passed and somehow Cate was certain that something felt... off. She wasn't sure if she was getting sick or something was incredibly wrong, but something in her gut tried to warn her of something awful. Nevertheless, she shoved the thought away and continued to school as normal.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

            The lunch table was lively as ever with Jason and Cate exchanging manga and the rest of the group making fun of their dorky behaviors.

            Cate had grown rather fond of the friend group. Although some of them could be a bit more quirky than she could handle, she enjoyed their company. Nevertheless, something about Jack still seemed different than when she first met him.

             "Soo, party at Jack's house this Saturday?" Jayson offered.

             "Why's it always have to be my house?!" Jack attempted to object.

             "Because you offered once, and now we always go there." Blake winked.

             "You'll come too this time, won't you Cate?" Jayson turned to her with a sincere smile.

             Cate thought for a moment about how much safer it was at home. She reflected on what Tabbi had told her and how much fun she could have when she pushed herself outside of her comfort zone. She took a deep breath and couldn't believe herself as she attempted to answer. "Sure-"

             "She's not invited." Jack stood from the table with his tray and hand, before turning to go to class.

             "That's not cool-" Jayson stood to defend his friend but to no use.

             "Then host it at your house." With that, Jack turned a cold shoulder and left.

              The table was speechless.

             "It's okay." Cate stood up, ready to see herself out. She knew when she wasn't wanted.

              "No, it's not okay!" Jayson insisted. "He can't just exclude you like tha-"

             "It's okay." Cate had already accepted the answer and was ready to move on from the conflict. There were only so many interactions she could handle and she was already meeting her limit for the day. "I'll talk to you guys tomorrow." She forced a smile before leaving them.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

               "What happened?"

               Cate had the same bored and distant expression she always seemed to casually wear, yet somehow Tabbi knew something was up.

               "Wai-what?" Cate snapped out of a daydream to turn to her friend, who was now sitting next to her on the bus.

               "You walked to your seat without looking for me. Something's wrong. What is it?" Tabbi pressed.

             "Sorry, I was just daydreaming." Cate admitted honestly.