38. The Snitch

22/11/21

Jessica's 1st Person POV

Here I am standing outside of the office patio, in the corner, taking a smoke break. Normally, I'd be taking a walk during my break time with Sarah, but, I no longer have my friend at the office. My heart still breaks at the whole ordeal she had to go through. I saw the nasty comments people made about her online. And, the fact that it has turned her life upside down must be a lot for her to handle. I've wanted to visit, but I'm giving it some time before everything dies down. I've called and messaged her frequently, though, making it a point to let her know I'm here for her as much as I can be.

I'm pissed that the media harassing Sarah has caused her to resign. She was so happy here and loved her coworkers, and everyone adored her. She did all the work expected of her and beyond. I know our CEO wasn't thrilled with Sarah's decision to resign because she is such an asset. But, I know it's causing her mental health to dwindle and she needs to do what's right for herself.

Sarah messaged me over the weekend saying she feels like it might be a blessing in disguise because maybe now she can try something new when it comes to her career. I'm glad she has a good outlook in that regard.

But, damn, I miss her being my number one bestie at the office.

As I'm exhaling out, putting out the cigarette, the door that leads into the break room opens up and a coworker walks out, speaking on her phone. It's one of the girls in the operations department, Brooke. She's several feet away and I'm in a weird crevice of a wall to the point where you can't easily see me. She walks towards the balcony railing, and she stares out at the golf course that is our view. I think she assumes she's alone because what I hear makes me absolutely rage inside.

"I can't believe it worked to my favor, Janice. When I heard Sarah and Jess talking about how Sarah's celebrity boyfriend was in town, I had this feeling he'd show up around the office to pick her up, and he did...Heck yeah, I was stealthy taking those photos. I knew he's huge in his country and his fans can be hurtful. I know it's awful to do, but I'm so sick of her getting in my way all the fucking time...yeah, I'm just glad I'm rid of her and hopefully they promote me into her old department since I've been proving myself."

As soon as I had heard Brooke say our names I hit record on my phone. You bet I had caught every word that came out of that filthy mouth.

Fucking snitch.

I felt sick to my stomach listening to her cackle on about what she did, and when I felt like I heard and recorded enough, I quietly got back into the office, luckily without her noticing me since her back was facing the entrance. I also had my hoodie on, so even if she looked back to see who opened or closed the door, she wouldn't have suspected it was me.

I'm going to see the boss and share the evidence to take that bitch, Brooke, down.

I don't know what kind of consequence Brooke could face, but I'm not going to let her get away with what she's done.

She basically endangered a coworker. Once media caught info about Sarah, paparazzi and fans flooded the outside of our building. If Sarah showed up the day the news initially hit social media, she would've been bombarded and harassed in person. Who knows if sasaengs would do anything hurtful.

Her mental health has declined because of what Brooke did! Sarah struggles with anxiety, and though she handles it as best as she can, something like what she's going through is not light and I know it's breaking her to hear so much negative things being said about her all over the world.

One way or another, Brooke is not getting away with this.

~

About a couple hours before the office was closing down for the work day, Brooke was called over to the CEO's office. She was in there until the last ten minutes until our office was officially closed. She was not discreet with her crying at her desk as she packed her belongings.