1

Louis Tomlinson deserves an Oscar. He swears it. He thinks that Harry Styles deserves one too. Being roommates with Harry Styles for four years, watching him fall in love with the worst people and taking hits that he doesn't deserve, and then Louis pretending like he doesn't see it and that it doesn't bother him are grounds for Oscars for the both of them.

It's also hard acting like he doesn't think about Harry as more than a roommate, as more than just his best mate sometimes. An Oscar, that's all he's saying.

So, Louis sits quietly and acts unbothered as Peter takes Harry's hand. Louis bites his tongue as he watches Harry's eyes. Harry never meets his, why should he, he's enveloped in Peter. But still, Louis watches his big, green, innocent eyes and he's in riddles.

He watches as Harry looks at Peter with so much love and care like he's the most precious thing in Harry's world like he's the only thing in Harry's world. Why can't you look at me like that? Louis thinks selfishly.

"Do you want to come to dinner with us, Lou?" Harry asks, finally sparing Louis a glance.

"No, I'm alright. Will you be home tonight?" Louis says emphasizing home to him since he's been spending all his time with Peter the past three months.

"Yeah, we can watch the new episode of-"

"I thought you were coming over after?" Peter says, cutting Harry off and it makes Louis' blood boil.

Harry seems to curl into himself a little, or maybe it's just Louis' imagination. "Right, I forgot. Tomorrow, Lou?"

"I might be going home tomorrow night. It's my birthday and Christmas eve and I think my mum has things planned, so," Louis trails off.

"Shit, I swear I didn't forget, I have your present wrapped and everything, time just-"

"I'm sure it's fine, Harry," Peter says once again cutting Harry off as he sets a hand on his waist protectively. "Right, Lou?" It sounds like an insult from his mouth.

"Yeah," Louis says giving a tight-lipped smile. "It's not a big deal, H, I'll see you when I get back,"

"Let's go, we're going to be late," Peter says ushering Harry out the door without another word. Louis grabs a throw pillow from beside him on the couch and screams into it until his throat hurts.

🧭

Louis spent his entire night on the couch eating take-out and watching reruns of MASH after Harry left. He's disorientated when he's jolted awake when the front door creaks open. Louis stays in his place laid down on the couch and rubs the sleep from his eyes. It's pitch black in the house and he has no idea how late it is.

The door clicks shut, and he can hear Harry's familiar shuffle towards the kitchen. The freezer door opens, he hears the crinkling of a package, and the door shuts again. Louis is about to sit up and say something when he hears the distinct sound of a sniffle and a sob escape Harry's mouth. He hears the sounds being muffled by Harry's hand and Louis can see his outline in the darkness quickly going to his room and shutting the door.

Louis really doesn't know what to do. Should he go knock on his door and see what happened, see what could be wrong? Should he leave it alone and let him have his time alone and see how he feels in the morning or when he gets back from Doncaster? He doesn't want to overstep, but this is his best mate. This is Harry and he can't sit here and go back to sleep after what he may have just witnessed.

Louis quickly finds himself standing in front of Harry's bedroom door, knocking softly. "Harry?" Nothing. "Haz, come on, open the door, I heard you come in,"