00

Prologue | The Banished Queen and the Swordsman

- 1021 -

"Please." The word was a mantra. A spell that he kept repeating as he rushed to the residence of where the banished Queen of Goryeo lived.

The man was a skilled fighter in all of Goryeo. Many calling him a god of the sword. His name was Kim Seokjin. A faithful servant of King Junmyeon. A swordsman who was sworn to protect the royal family. But that night, he wasn't at his position in the palace. He couldn't. There was something more urgent. Someone more important.

When he got to the residence of the Banished Queen, he felt his heart pounding in his chest. So hard, he thought his heart just might burst out of his chest. Dead bodies littered the floor. He quickly rushed into the residence and went straight to her sleeping chambers. The place he knew she was going to be.

"Y/N-ah!" He called out, over and over again. He knew that even if the Queen was banished, he shouldn't be calling her by her name. But that was the least of his worries. His biggest worry was that there was no answer. There was no reply, but he didn't stop. He kept calling out her name. Still holding on to the small bit of hope that she was still alive. Just injured.

When he opened the door to her sleeping chambers, he was met with a sight that was pulled straight from his nightmares. Queen Y/N was lying on the floor, a pool of blood around her. She was murdered. By someone who knew how to wield a sword.

He let out a yell. It was full of anger, despair, and heartbreak. He could practically feel his heart being ripped in two. He got there too late. He couldn't keep his promise. He blamed himself, more than anything.

No. He didn't blame himself. 

He blamed Junmyeon and Jiyeon. They were to blame. If only Y/N didn't have to marry Junmeyon. If only Jiyeon didn't try to constantly ruin Y/N's marriage. If only... if only Y/N had married him.

"Nunim!" A younger man ran into the room. He stopped short once he saw her figure. Unconscious. Pale. His older sister, dead. Lying in the arms of the man she loved.

Min Yoongi was the younger brother of Queen Y/N. He, like Seokjin, had also heard a rumour that masked men dressed all in black had attacked the residence of the Banished Queen. He just had to go see for himself.

"No... No!" He cried out. Queen Y/N was the only family he had left, and now she was taken from him. Too early. He fell to his knees. Tears streaming down his cheeks. He made a vow. He vowed to find the people responsible for his sister's death. No matter who it was, he was going to get his revenge. Whether it be the king or the butcher. It didn't matter.

Yoongi looked up to see Seokjin, the same sort of darkness filling the swordsman's eye. Yoongi wasn't blind. He knew how much Seokjin and Y/N loved each other. A love that could never work. 

'Nunim, thank you for being my sister. Rest well. I hope to be your brother again in our next life. Maybe as your older brother, so that I can protect you since I wasn't able to in this life. I'll join you soon,' Yoongi swore to Y/N. His vow wasn't spoken out loud but he knew Y/N would hear him.

'In our next life, I promise to find you. I won't be cowardly and tell you I love you every single day. I'm going to do something you might not like, but please don't fault yourself for it. I love you. I'll be with you soon, my love,' Seokjin thought as he looked at the still face of his beloved.

Seokjin picked up the Queen and placed her gently on her bedding. If anyone were to come in and didn't see the blood, they might just be fooled that she was just sleeping. He took a step back. Seokjin and Yoongi couldn't look away from Y/N.

"Yoongi-ah," Seokjin's voice was cold. "Are you with me?"

"Until the very end," Yoongi nodded, his eyes void of any positive emotion.

Goryeo = Name of Korea between the years of 918 and 1392

Nunim = Formal version of Noona