Chapter 1

"Jake! Open the door!"

Jacob Thurman, son of the Alpha of the Thurman pack and the future Alpha of said pack, was in his room having a make-out session with a pack maid whose name he couldn't remember when he heard Vanessa's voice through the haze of his lust-fogged mind.

Hearing Vanessa's voice, he broke the kiss and pulled away from the maid, gesturing silently for her to get dressed. She did as he said, but with a pretty pout on her face. That pout must have been what he had found attractive about her in the first place, but after having fun with her all day long, she was no longer the novelty she was when he first started wooing her two weeks ago.

Vanessa, on the other hand, was hoping to be picked as his mate and had refused his advances. But He wasn't worried about it because he knew it was inevitable.

She would be a notch in his belt sooner or later. And he would never take her as his mate.

He placed the tray the maid had brought into his room earlier in her hands and pointed toward the door with a shushing gesture. Then he kicked his dirty briefs and the used condoms under his bed before getting under the blankets, completely naked.

When the maid opened the door, she paused for a moment and Jake knew Vanessa was examining her for anything that looked out of place.

He was ready with a convincing lie if Vanessa suspected that he and the maid had done anything together. But when Vanessa stormed into his room, he knew she had already forgotten all about the maid.

"Jake, I hope what your mother said isn't true," She said.

Jake, who was lying in bed, sat up and pretended to stretch before resting his head on one of his arms and flexing the muscles on it in a way he knew made girls crazy about him. "Good evening to you too, Vanessa. What did my mother say to you?"

Her lips curled in obvious disgust as she repeated what his mother had said. "She said you mating with me is not in her plans. Instead, you'll mate with some rich, spoiled alpha's daughter."

Bingo, darling, you just hit the nail on the head because that is indeed the plan, even though you don't need to know that.

Instead of voicing his thoughts, he smirked at Vanessa and asked with an air of mystery, "What do you think?"

"I think it would be extremely cruel of you and your mother to do that to me because I have suffered enough for you. I have spent my free time taking care of that stupid blind girl called Ciara as a favor to your mother. I also helped to monitor her and kept her away from pack guests all this time. . .and this is how she wants to repay me!"

Before she could get any more worked up, Jake slid out of the sheets and sauntered to where she stood without attempting to cover his naked body. He watched as her eyes widened as she looked him over, all her anger slowly dissolving under the weight of the lust that darkened her eyes.

"What. . .what are you doing?" She stammered, trying to stare at anything but his body.

Jake used his hands to hold Vanessa's chin as he stood as close as he could to her. He wrapped his other hand around her waist and gave her his best earnest look.

"Baby, don't look so worried. My mum was just trying to rile you up. You and I are destined to be. I'm sure of it and you will be sure of it too when I choose you as my mate when it's time for my mating ceremony."

Jake didn't waste the fantastic opportunity he had by simply taking pleasure out of watching the desire fill Vanessa's eyes. Instead, he kissed her with as much passion as he could summon. And soon enough, they were in his bed, doing a lot more than just kissing.

***

"Jacob, wake up now!"

Jake woke up to the unfiltered sun lighting up his usually dark room through open curtains and his father's voice ringing in his ears. He pushed himself up on his elbows and groggily opened his eyes to see his father giving him the usual 'I'm so disappointed in you' look that he had gotten used to a long time ago.

He used a hand to shield his eyes from the glare of the sun and looked down to see Vanessa curled delectably into his side. Well, he could now see the reason for his father's disappointment.

What father wouldn't be when he saw his son, the next Alpha of the pack, with some slut so early in the morning on the day of his coming-of-age party?

But Jake had stopped trying to impress his strait-laced father since he left his adolescence, so he didn't care so much about what his father had to say or his reprimands. He was resigned to the fact that he would never be his father's version of the perfect Alpha.

He patted Vanessa's arm to wake her up, but she didn't want to.

"What? Let me sleep, Jake. Haven't you had enough?" She murmured.

Since she refused to wake up, Jake took drastic measures even though his father was in the room. A stage whisper with the right words was all he needed. "Vanessa, the alpha is here."

He almost laughed as she woke up with a start and looked around the room quickly like a thief that was about to get caught. When she saw his father, she didn't dare look him in the eyes. Instead, she greeted him in a quiet and meek voice, gripping the blanket tightly to her chest. Then she tied the blanket around her body and scuttled out of his room as fast as her legs could take her.

"I'm disappointed in you, Jacob. Although I would have preferred that you remain celibate for your mate. Seeing that I've caught you with so many girls and you seem to be unable to control your desires, I really would prefer that you pick one girl instead of sleeping through every available girl in the pack." His father seemed weary of him and his shenanigans as he sat on the sofa beside his bed, staring at him.

"I've seen you with that Vanessa girl a lot. Do you plan to mate her? How do you think she will feel seeing you with so many girls and. . ."

"There's no way in hell that trashy girl is my son's mate!"

Jake felt relieved when his mother, Mackenzie, walked into his room. She was the only one who could distract his father.

"Then why does he keep sleeping around with any girl and every girl in the pack?" Judging by the beating vein on his forehead, Jake knew his father was getting angry, so he made a hidden gesture to his mother to get her to help him.

In response, his mother quickly came to his defense. "Honey, leave the boy alone. Let him have fun while he still can."

She diverted his father's attention from him as she pulled his father to the doorway and said, "We'll leave you to dress now, darling. Come downstairs as soon as you're done. We need to finish up this meeting early before your coming-of-age party later in the evening."

After saying this, she took his father, who was still grumbling about his irresponsible behavior, out of his room. As they moved away, he could hear her talking excitedly about his coming-of-age party over his father's grumbling, and Jake couldn't help smiling as he thought of how lucky he was to have such a caring mother.

Updated to the latest version: August 22, 2022