Training

The image before me rippled, slowly fading into nothing.

Everything was sore and ached. My entire body felt so heavy that I was almost scared I had been buried alive.

I forced my eyes open, looking up at a wooden ceiling. The only light was that of ambiance, coming from a candle somewhere in the room. A thick blanket covered me.

Where am I?

Straining my head I glanced to my left and saw a girl sleeping, a bamboo muzzle over her lips. She had long, dark hair that fanned out beneath her. And atop her blankets was a black and green checkered haori.

Is Mom and Max nearby?

Despite the ache of my body, and despite the protests it put up, I tried to sit up, even as my stomach felt as if it was being torn open. I bit my lip to keep from yelping at the sudden pain.

"Don't move!" A sudden, gentle voice called to my right. They rushed to my side, helping me relax and lay back down.

I glanced at them only to recognize the boy with burgundy hair. His striking eyes matched his hair, but every inch of him appeared to be covered in small bruises and cuts. A scar sat on his forehead, just above his left eye. He gave me a warm smile.

"Thank goodness you're awake. I was so worried. . . How do you feel?" He asked kindly.

I weakly cleared my throat. "Where am I?"

"We're at Mount Sagiri. Don't worry, you're safe, Natsumi."

My eyes widened. "Natsumi?"

He flashed me a confused look. "Yeah?"

"Who's Natsumi?"

The boy's face fell, but only for a moment. "Your name is Natsumi. Natsumi Rin. Do you remember anything?"

I swallowed hard. "This must be a dream. . ." I mumbled underneath my breath.

"What?"

"Nothing." I replied quickly. I averted my eyes to the ceiling. "It was the end of the day, and I was with Mom and Max. . . I think I was sick. . ."

Is this just a fever dream?

He cleared his throat. "Natsumi. . . don't you remember home? Both of your parents and older brother? Your family also sold charcoal, and since we were somewhat neighbors our families were close. . . You remember me, right?"

My heart lurched in my throat. This really is a fever dream.

Despite not knowing anything, I shamefully shook my head. "I'm sorry."

He looked towards the ground, hiding his face from me.

Is this real? This can't be real - I don't have any knowledge about this place!

"What - uh, what year is it?" I asked, glancing around the room.

The boy perked up. "It's the Taisho Period."

I nearly jumped out of the bed, but grimaced when I tried to move.

"The Taisho Period??" I exclaimed. He nodded. "No, no, no. . . it's 2021! It's the modern era! This isn't real, this can't be happening - "

"Natsumi, calm down," He said, gently placing a hand on my shoulder. I looked at him, waiting for an answer.

"I don't know what to say, truthfully," He said kindly. "I don't know what you're talking about, but I can tell you what might've happened. . . You and your family were attacked by a demon, a monster that feeds on humans. I found you at my home, unconscious and bleeding out. The demon. . ." He grimaced, clenching his other hand into a tight fist. "The demon killed my entire family and turned Nezuko into a demon. Don't worry, she won't hurt you." He said quickly when he saw fear cross over my face. "But I ran into a demon slayer, who helped me save both you and Nezuko. And I brought both of you to Mount Sagiri, where I'm training to become a demon slayer."