Sabito and Makomo

A/N: I apologize for the lack of updates to this story. I've been processing stuff in my own life and for a while there I had no motivation to write this. But I'm feeling better and I hope to stick to my schedule of weekly releases on Fridays! Thank you all for your continued support! 😌💞

"I think there's only one thing we can do," I said, shaking my arms out.

"Which is?" He asked.

"Train."

Every day, Tanjiro and I spent hours and hours training with an indomitable spirit. We worked on the basics, like holding our breath and flexibility. Sometimes it would be strength or endurance training, like racing through the mountain. And we never let a day go by without practicing the breathing forms just once.

But even then, I shrank to my knees as our swords bounced off the boulder again. My blade rolled out of my hands, which were shaking and worn with blisters from the intense training.

"It's been six months. . ." I mumbled, the heavy wave of defeat seeping within me.

Tanjiro, whose hands matched mine, clenched his fists. "We aren't doing enough. We have to train even more."

Even as we were left sore and blistered from the extra hours of intense training that made me feel as though I was dying, nothing hurt more than the clank sound of my sword bouncing off the boulder.

I took a few steps back, staring at the ground. "Why. . ? We train so hard. . ." I mumbled.

"No! We have to keep working hard! Even harder than before!" Tanjiro shouted his resolve. He then suddenly slammed his head into the boulder. "We can't give up now!"

As I reached out towards Tanjiro to check if his head was okay, someone interrupted me.

"Shut up."

I jumped at the unfamiliar voice to see a boy with orange hair and a fox mask sitting atop the boulder. He held a wooden sword in one hand. How did he get there so silently?

"A man shouldn't whine. It's unseemly. Especially in front of a lady." He continued. "No matter how much you suffer, bear it silently. If you're strong."

The new person stood and jumped up in the air, rearing his sword back as he slashed at Tanjiro, who wasn't expecting it and barely blocked the strike. Then the boy followed his attack with a kick to Tanjiro's face, sending him flying into me. The impact pushed the air out of my lungs out of surprise and left us sprawled out on the ground.

"Are you alright, (Y/N)?" Tanjiro asked me, keeping his eyes on the orange-haired boy.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied, wiping a small streak of blood from my lips. Who does this guy think he is??

"Slow. Weak. Immature. That's not what you call a man, or a warrior." He said.

"What do you think you're doing!?" Tanjiro demanded.

"I'd like to know what you two are thinking you're doing."

"What the hell do you mean? We're training!" I shouted.

He didn't seem to react to my words, but I couldn't see his face beneath the mask. "How long do the two of you plan to keep your butts on the ground without even taking a stance?"

Both Tanjiro and I jumped to our feet, our swords in front of us. I felt my cheeks go red from embarrassment.

Imagine a stranger attacks you and then critiques your technique!

He held out a hand and motioned towards himself. "Come. Come at me."

I took a few steps towards him, but froze when I felt Tanjiro hesitate. I glanced back at him for some sort of explanation.