He's Home - Newt

You awoke to the sound of waves crashing against the shore. It relaxed you. You'd always found peace in those little things. You loved the stars, the way they sparkled on their own. But you couldn't sparkle, not without him.

You loved the beach, watching the light dance along the waves, twinkling as it went by. But you couldn't twinkle, not without him.

You both used to find happiness in those things together. You missed the days when you couldn't sleep, so you found yourself a spot on the grass where the stars shone the brightest. Newt would always find you there sooner or later, and you'd both stare upwards, watching.

You missed him.

The wooden bed creaked as you forced yourself off it, and made your way to your friends. Sand squished between your toes, flicking up behind you as you walked. He would have loved that.

You soon found your friends and sat down on the spare log. "Good morning" came from Minho.

You replied with a slightly forced smile, you didn't really feel like talking.

“No breakfast for you then?" asked Gally, as he looked at you with worry.

"Not really feeling hungry", you weren't lying, you hardly ate these days, you felt empty.

Thomas came and sat next to you "Drink this", he handed you a cup of water, which had a slight tinge of yellow in it.

"Thanks", you said before taking a gulp.

He put his arm around you and pulled you close to him, "I know this is hard for you," he started, " it's hard for all of us, but you've got to take care of yourself." He finished, speaking to you as a big brother would to his little sister.

You gave a small nod, and stared at the sand blowing at your feet. "How've you been sleeping?" he pushed.

"Not well, keep waking up."

Thomas started talking again, "Well maybe i can-".

You abruptly cut him off with "I'm hungry." With that you walked off to get yourself some breakfast.

You knew they were only trying to look at for you, but you knew it wasn't going to help. To be honest, you didn't really want to think about Newt, or all the things you were struggling with right now. So you just removed yourself from the situation.

Nothing was easy without newt.

He used to be the one to wake you up and go get breakfast with you every morning. He used to hold you when you couldn't sleep, and tell you stories. He used to watch the stars with you or go swim in the lake. He used to whisper jokes about the other glades in your ears, in front of them, sending you both into fits of giggles whilst, the glader would just stare at you in confusion.

Newt was your happiness, and without him, you didn't know where you were going to get it from.

Slowly you made your way to get food, dragging your feet behind you. You stared at the floor, fiddling with the glass in your hands, trying desperately not to think of Newt, but failing miserably. You looked up, to check your path was clear, and looked back down at the glass once more.

But as you looked down something caught your eye. You did a double take, and looked directly in front of you. You saw it again. It took your brain a second to process what you were looking at. But then you realised.

You froze.

The glass cup you'd previously been holding, slipped out of your grip, and smashed loudly as it collided with a rock by your feet.