CHAPTER FIVE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔THE CHARMER

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
THE CHARMER

"I would like to make a toast to everyone who showed up to my Hollywood-themed party," Symone announced, holding a champagne glass while standing at the center table positioned, where all the guests stared at her. "I know that eighteen is the year of starting your adult life, and after graduating from school—it's only up from here, so cheers to the future and whatever is in store for me,"

We lifted our glasses in the air, saying cheers as I took a sip of the champagne.

She was smiling brightly at everyone who came to the party, and just from her smiling—it made me smile. It was irresistible as I wanted to do nothing but keep her smiling. It was hard holding back feelings towards someone you liked, but I always told myself:

You gotta' wait for the right moment.

"Ronnie, how's college?" Mrs. McKinley questioned, taking my attention away from her daughter on her. It was like she sensed that I had something for her daughter as I wanted to know how she knew.

We were sitting at the round table that could fit twenty people, and we were watching the entertainment provided for Symone's birthday party. So, all of us, including our parents, were seated at the center table.

"It's cool," I replied, clearing my throat as I knew that I had to think of a better answer. "I'm working hard. Between studying hard, practicing 24/7, it's a lot to deal with, but I manage,"

"Suck up," Brooklyn mumbled, speaking low so that I could only hear her.

I wanted to tell her to shut up, but I knew that my voice carried, and I could barely whisper.

"So, Symone, what are you going to do since you've graduated?" Mrs. Leena Celestine, Leilani's mom, asked, glaring at Symone.

"Well, since I've just graduated, I just want to spend time with my friends," Symone answered truthfully, taking her seat across from me but next to Leilani and her ex. "Probably travel... find some hobbies that will probably turn into a passion,"

We locked eyes for a moment until she looked away, tucking her hair behind her ear.

Her ex-boyfriend, Dorian, watched us with a grin on his face, thinking that since he was sitting down next to her that she wanted him back. I didn't understand why he was even here; they broke up already, and he was still trying to be around her. It might've been because she let him, but his family was also here.

"You know that you and your friends remind me of how Sonya, Tanya, and I were when we were young," My mom, Anika, continued, referring to their time as friends. "We didn't have that much wealth that you all did, but we still found ways to enjoy ourselves with each other."

"Yeah. I love them." Symone said, looking at her friends Leilani and Brooklyn.

I looked down, checking my cellphone as it was getting close to eleven o'clock. The time was moving, and it was almost time for the party to end.