ALAND TO UPPSALA.

October 5.

I departed from Turku. The corn-fields of Finland are beautiful, and resemble those of Ostergotland in their wide extent and level surface. There are regular ferry-boats at stated times to take passengers to the isle of Aland.

October 6.

I arrived at the place, near Brandoen,(Brando?) where I was to go on board the ferry-boat. The shore is a red rock. Passed over to the island of Aland, the whole of which consists of the same kind of red rock. The palace of Kastelholm, at present falling fast into ruins, is built of this sort of stone.

The women use for dyeing a sort of rock Lichenoides, of a brown stercoraceous colour, (perhaps Lichen stygius, or omphalodes,) which they boil in water with alum. But Walmal cloth, and stockings, are dyed without alum. Some add a little Annatto (Bixa orelana).

Shoes like short half-boots are worn here made of seal-skin.

October 7.

In the evening of this day I passed over the plain of Aland. There were abundance of Finn-berries (Hippophaë rhamnoides) by the road.

October 8.

I sailed over the sea of Aland.

October 9.

Near Esbro an iron mine has lately been opened. About the church are sundry sepulchral monuments. I noticed on the small surrounding hills, as well as at Musangen, very fine and lofty plants of juniper resembling cypresses, the branches erect and close, assuming a conical or pyramidal figure.

October 10.

About one o'clock in the afternoon I arrived safe at Uppsala. To the Maker and Preserver of all things be praise, honour and glory for ever!