3

Soon enough, council meetings became part of the pair's weekly schedule

Soon enough, council meetings became part of the pair's weekly schedule. Jangmi would admit, Mark was good at his job, though she also would admit, she wasn't bad either. She guessed it just wasn't her year.

Overall, the students elected for the governing body had changed drastically. She was no longer met with the same faces she saw from every year before. What surprised her even more was that many of them were half, or even fully Asian like herself and Mark Lee.

There was Jeno, a boy who had not been even nominated the previous years. Though he was very well known for his athletic ability and academic ranking, he never seemed to be interested in the student body. He was Head prefect.

Then there was Jaemin, always by Jeno's side, snuggled into Mark's neck, or babysitting his self proclaimed children, Chenle and Jisung, who happened to be the Arts and Crafts club president and vice president respectively.

Then there was Donghyuck, the Dance club president, and Renjun, the Singing club president.

Jangmi noticed that while Mark was closest to Jeno, the one who wanted to be closest to Mark was Donghyuck. And while Jisung, Chenle and Renjun minded their own business, Mark minded Jaemin's. It was clear that just as Jaemin had chosen his children, so had Mark.

Jaemin had approached Jangmi one day.

"Jangmi, right? Why do you never smile?" He asked.

"I do," Jangmi replied, "you've just never seen me, yet."

"What do I have to do to see you smile?" He asked.

"Depends on why you want me to." She flashed a polite smile.

The boy chuckled, one hand moving up to ruffle his hair and pulling it back a little. "See, even now, you don't call that a smile."

Jangmi scoffed. "Well, what are you implying then?" Her voice rose a little higher, hinting at her amusement with him.

He pretended to think, pouting his lips a little. "Hmm..." He dragged for a while. "Maybe, you sound a little too... austere?"

Jangmi sneered. "And where did you get that word from- what does that even mean?" She laughed.

"The thesaurus." He simply stated. "I forgot what it means but I assumed it meant too serious. Either way, you laughed, so Ha!"

Jangmi laughed. "You know Jaemin, you're a really cool guy. Wanna study together sometime? My roommate and I are looking for a study partner." She smiled.

"I'd love to." They exchanged numbers. Before leaving with a beautiful smile, he turned back to add, "and Jangmi, you're not too bad yourself."