Chapter Two- Coffee Girl

After waiting in line for 20 minutes trying to get Sloan's bone-dry cappuccino instead of saving lives something hit me. When did I become the coffee girl?

So, I left the queue and made my way back to the surgical floor. I walked around for a while in hopes of finding at least one familiar face but let's face it I'm officially lost. Finally, after what must have been at least an hour of wandering around I found Meredith. 

"Hey Ana, where have you been?" She asked sternly.

"Sloan, I told me to go get him a coffee but once I got there I decided not to. Totally forgetting the fact that I had no idea where I was going. In short, I got lost." I explained.

"Well, at least you found me and good on you for not caving and getting Sloan's coffee" she said joyfully. "Did you get assigned a case?"

"Nope to busy waiting in line." I said shortly. I was trying hard not to be mean to Meredith, it is still my first day and being mean to my resident was not the way to go.

"Well since you're late you can be on the mastectomy today. Here.". Meredith handed me the patient's chart.

"Okay" I said while reading the notes on the case. They read:

Name: Emily Quince

Age: 23 years old

Room: 2207

As I finished reading the chart, Meredith cleared her throat *cough*. I looked up looking like a startled deer.

"Yes?" I said.

"Why are you still standing here" she questioned "Go check on your patient. Now!"

I quickly speed walked towards the patient's room hoping to avoid being late again. The door to Emily Quince's room quickly came into view, I knocked on the door once before entering. Emily was there laying in the hospital bed talking to a man in a white coat, a doctor obviously.

I stood by the side of her bed listening to each of her questions, making sure I knew how to answer each of them even though they weren't directed at me. The doctor on the case was no more than The Mark Sloan.
I swear the universe hates me today.

He turns to me and says, "Doctor Rogers, could you please explain how a mastectomy works?"

Caught off guard I quickly try to remember each step of the procedure "Um... An elliptical incision is made around the breast and the tissue is removed. Part of the breast or entire breast may be removed. The skin, nipple, and lymph nodes may or may not be removed. Once the surgery is completed, the incision is closed by stitches. These sutures are dissolvable or can be removed later."

"Well done Doctor, you can remember lines from a textbook" Sloan said sarcastically.

The patient, Emily, looked like she was trying to stifle a laugh whether it was at what I had said or Doctor Sloan's reaction I don't know.

"It's good that I already explained how the procedure works. I just want you to check up on Emily every two hours." He stated, "If you don't screw that up, I might let you scrub in".

"I won't screw it up. Promise." I said confidently.

"We don't make promises in this hospital" He said solemnly.

He stalked out of the room and I started to check each machine attached to Emily. Her vitals are strong, and she has a good B/P (Blood pressure).

"I'm surprised you haven't asked me why yet." Emily said.

Lost in my own world I took a second to comprehend what she had said and to form an answer. "It's your own personal decision, I'm here to care for you not to pry into your private life" I replied.

She chuckled and said, "I think I like you."

After several hours of checking Emily's vitals, it was time for her surgery. Sloan found me at the front desk filling out my report on the day so far.

"How's our patient doing?" He asked.

"She's doing fine." I replied. I don't feel like having a conversation with him because I didn't want to be asked about where his coffee was or if I ever got it. Which I didn't.

"Fine?" He said accusingly "I should hope she's doing better than fine; Emily has surgery in a few minutes" Sloan came closer to my side if wanted to I could flex my fingers and touch his hand. He smelt good, manly even. He must have just sprayed some aftershave on himself, it was intoxicating. Why did he have to smell so good?

"She's doing great and ready for surgery." I said shortly.

He moved his mouth towards my ear, so close I could feel his hot breath on my neck, sending shivers down my spine. "I hope you know that I haven't forgotten about that coffee you were supposed to get me this morning". I was trying to concentrate on his words but all I could think about was where I wanted him to put his mouth.
"Are you ready to scrub in" He asked stepping away from my ear, leaving my neck feeling cold and breaking me free of my thoughts. I wanted him to move back, to put his mouth near my neck again but all I said was "I'm more than ready."