49. Bridge

I spent most the day sleeping between feeding times and crying sessions. Daryl came back at sunset and made sure I ate a sandwich that he had made.
As I ate he took the chance to spend time with his currently crying daughter.
"She needs her nappy doing" I state as I get up.
"Sit. I'll do it" he states walking over to the changing station.
"You sure? It's your first one" I say as he nods.
"You showed me, remember?" He asks as I nod, sitting down to eat my food.
As I finish my sandwich I notice Daryl struggling with the nappy.
"You okay babe?" I ask looking at the nappy as I lock my fingers.
"I ain't made for this shit" he grumbles as he still tries to figure it out.
"No swearing now... it's backwards" I say simply as I take over. He sighs slightly aggravated because he couldn't do it.
"Don't worry I did the same thing the first time I did a nappy. The second time I forgot to untuck the sides" I explain sorting it.
"I'll try to remember that" he says kissing my forehead.
I yawn as I pick up thea and put her back in her bed.
"Still tired?"
"Recovering from squeezing the thing out" I mumble putting a blanket on her.
I hear him click his tongue as I walk into the bathroom to brush my teeth only to slip grabbing the sink to stop my fall.
"Daryl! I told you to wipe the floor!" I shout holding onto the sink for my life as my butt hovers an inch from the floor.
I hear his footsteps as he opens the door to see me trying to stand up again, still holding onto the sink, my now wet socks slip again.
I hear an amused noise as hands grab my side and help me stand up.
"Carful" he says letting go and throwing the towel that was drying on the door onto the floor before disappearing again.
I clean my teeth and quickly jump into bed with Daryl preparing for no sleep.

Unlike last time we didn't take turns, I made sure to get her each time.
Daryl's under too much stress with the saviours as it is, and lack of sleep won't help.
Daryl left earlier with a kiss on the cheek as a thank you before leaving me to sleep.

Later that day I woke up to theas cries and a shushing sound. I open my eyes slightly revealing a blurred man standing above the cot. Instincts kick in as I grab my blade and jump up, pinning the man to the wall.
"Calm down, it's me, rick" he says panicked as I blink a few times.
"You asshole, scaring the shit out of me" I grumble putting the knife down and pick thea up gently.
"Sorry, I heard you gave birth. Wanted to see for myself, didn't expect you to be asleep" he says as I sigh.
"Of course I'm gonna be asleep, your a dad ain't ya? You should understand this shit" I say as he walks with me to the kitchen area to make the bottle.
"Yeah, sorry" he says as I put the mixture in the water.
"So how's Daryl handling all this?" He asks as I shake up the warm mixture.
"He's stressed... We both are" I state.
He stays silent as I stand up feeding thea. I close my eyes temporarily before remembering what I told Daryl.
"Why have you done this Rick?" I ask confusing him.
"Done what?" He asks.
"Kept us here, we both wanted to go home and instead of having my child in a safe place, I'm here. The place where me and Daryl were cut away from society after a madman killed our friends"
"I know it's wrong but I trust Daryl-"
"And he trusts you too, but he doesn't trust anyone here... Daryl's came a long way since I've met him but I think your putting too much pressure on him" I explain.
"I understand your reasoning but I need him here. Theirs not many I can trust and I'm trying to rebuild our home. This place is safe from walkers and the people have changed, surely you noticed that"
"Theirs people against the idea of us, that still love negan. It maybe safe on the outside but the inside is rotten, rick, please... I can't even bring myself to go downstairs, but Daryl forces himself so he can do this stupid job even though he went though worse then me! Rick please, Atleast give him a break and some time" I beg.
"I'll figure this out, remi, I will. But you'll have to put up with it a little while long. Trust me on this" he says.
I stare at him for a few seconds before nodding.
"If you don't do something, I will just walk out of here" I tell him.
"I know, I'll sort it" he says nodding. I nod before yawning and realising the bottles now empty.
I put it on the side and burp thea before laying her down for bed again.
"I'm gonna go and let you get some sleep" he says as I nod and climb back into bed for a long needed nap.