Four

"Why was he 20 minutes late?" Jayden asked Elena who was kneeling in front of him with other attendants that worked under her, for Jayson.
"I'm sorry my lord. It will never happen again, I was a little bit late."She answered.
"A little bit? You were late? Not Jayson?"
"Yes my lord. I was late."
"Okay, but you should've brought him earlier. Why didn't you teach her what to do?" he asked another court lady beside Elena.
"My lord, she's the chief court lady in charge of prince Jayson. I can't tell her what to do"the court lady replied.
Jayden nodded gently. "I have other things to attend to right now. I can't punish Jayson, I'll punish you instead. You guys were 20 minutes late, you'll be whipped 20 times." He stood up, took two steps forward. "10 more, because you lied to me, you woke up late indeed" he said mockingly and left.

Elena was devastated. She feared whips after what happened to her with Tina. She couldn't beg Jayden because he was too scary. She rubbed her palms together. Her palms were sweaty.
She walked to the center of the palace as that was the normal place to receive punishments. She knelt down and bowed her head. The guards were preparing the whips. She should've listened to her mom, she thought.
"Don't let the whip touch her back, her palm will do" Esther said. She knew about the plan. She really tried convincing Jayden to forgive her. "Jayson might have a strong heart, but he'll buckle up if we whip her" he had said.
The guards bowed and Esther walked away with her assistants.

"Follow me" Jayden said to Jayson. He had called the younger boy to his chambers. The younger boy was confused but followed him anyway.
Jayden dismissed their attendants as they walked to the center of the palace. They were almost there when a male servant informed Jayden that his father needed him urgently.
"Go to the center of the palace, when you're done there, come to my chambers" He said and walked away.
He got there almost immediately and he wondered why a court lady was being punished,and why he was asked to come here. He walked closer and he paused.
"Elena?" He called out surprised.
"Yes my lord" she answered crying.
"What happened? What did you do?"
"Nothing my lord,"she mumbled before stretching out of her palm again.
"15!"The guard whipping her shouted as her landed the whip on her palm again making her wince in pain.

"Stop it!" Jayson shouted. He knelt beside Elena. "What's going on?" He asked holding her palm. It was swollen already.
"Nothing my prince, I did something bad."
"What did you do? Prince Jayson asked again. He was getting impatient. Friends don't lie to each other" he said again.
Elena smiled and nodded. "I'll tell you you later, when I'm done with the punishment."
Jayson was already very angry. He stood up and faced the guards. "Who ordered this?"
"Prince Jayden" one of them answered.
" Why?"
Because she made you come late and she lied to him.
"Wait a minute." He looked at Elena. "Why would you tell him that?"
She didn't talk.
Jayden would've punished her anyways, he thought.
"How many strokes left?" He asked.
"15 my lord."
"Okay. Get up Elena, wait for me at my chambers."
"Yes my lord" she replied and stood up immediately. She couldn't bear the pain of the whip any longer.
Jayson walked to Jayden's chamber.
"Jayden!" He screamed. But he wasn't there. He hissed and walked to Esther's chamber. He might find him there, he thought to himself.
"Where is he?"Jayson shouted as soon as he entered Esther's chamber.

"What's happening outside?"Esther asked after she heard his loud voice. She was startled.
"Nothing to worry yourself about my lady. Someone got my present, but he doesn't seem too pleased" Jayden said.
Jayson banged the door, pushed it open and came in.
"Jayson we've talked about banging......" Esther started to talk but she was rudely interrupted.
"Jayden!!!!" Jayson shouted interrupting his sister.
Jayden smirked. "Did you see my little surprise for you?"
"Who do you think you are?" The younger boy shouted again.
"No who do you think you are? Jayden asked calmly. Coming to the royal court late? And then here you are raising your voice at me because I punished your maid. Can't I punish her? Are you sleeping with her or something?"
"I was wrong,not her, Jayson said ignoring his question. She really tried waking me early."His voice was no longer loud.
"Oh but she told me she was the reason and she lied, so I punished her. You don't question my orders Jayson. You don't. Nobody does, I can't punish you, so I'll just punish her instead."
"But why? Jayson asked his voice reducing to a whisper. She's the only friend I have."
"That's more the reason why I have to punish her, because if I punish her you'll sit up."
"What?"Jayson asked. He was confused.

"I'm tired of putting up with your shit Jayson, do you ever ask yourself how your part of the kingdom is managed? Don't you ever wonder why it does well despite your lack of attention. Do you think you actually do anything?"
"I don't understand," Jayson said. He was so confused.
Esther held Jayden's hand and pulled him close to her. "It's okay, stop now, we can talk about this later, you'll end up hurting him. Go to your chambers Jayson. Go,she said. I'll come there soon."
Jayson walked away quietly but not without giving an order to Jayden's chief court lady. She was an elderly lady. "Find one of your court ladies to receive the remaining 15 strokes."
Jayson entered the royal court earlier than usual, he wanted to sleep more but he couldn't risk Elena getting whipped again. He met his father talking to Jayden.
"Good morning Father" he greeted.
Jayden dismissed the court ladies and told them come immediately they were done, as they didn't want anyone hearing what they discussed in the royal court. All the court ladies left except the matron who was tasting the king's tea.
Whenever you see me on my throne, address me as a king, the king said.
"Nobody's here so we might as well skip all the royal rules" Jayson said.
"Can you stop all these and actually learn the royal rules?" Jayden asked out of anger.
"Says the one who didn't teach me any," Jayson replied rolling his eyes.

"Stop it you two" the matron said.
Jayden was so pissed. "You're just a spoilt brat."
"You're not in any place to talk to me right now, not after what you did yesterday" Jayson said ignoring the matron's glare.
"By punishing a maid you mean?"Jayden asked mockingly.
"She's not a maid you know. She's a court lady."
The matron tried stopping them again but the king stopped her.
"Just a court lady? What was her name again? Elena?"
The matron widened her eyes at the mention of Elena.
This children will be the death of me, the more I try to distance Elena from them, the closer she gets. Oh God,she thought. She never ever wanted the king to know about Elena, not even her name. Lisbeth didn't want that either.
"She's not just a court lady, she's..."
"Shut it you two!!! The matron shouted. Stop it right now."
The two boys stared at their aunt. She barely shouted at anyone. She was always calm and collected which made her look cool.
"I'm sorry" Jayden apologized.
"Well I'm not" Jayson said rolling his eyes.
Everyone was quiet.
"It's been long I watched you two argue." It reminds me of your mom, the king said.
The matron nudged her brother. She knew the boys didn't like talking about the dead queen.
"Dad please, let's not get into that"Jayden said.
"Why? The king asked. Who's Elena by the way?"
"Nobody" the matron answered, shoving his tea into his hands.
"Okay, the king said. I remember asking you to teach Jayson about somethings. Have you been teaching him."
"No I haven't. He's been busy with school work."
Jayson widened his eye but kept shut, as much as he hated Jayden he didn't want him to be in trouble.
After the meeting, the brothers sat together waiting for their attendants to arrive. It was a rare sight to see but it wasn't so rare because the matron stood in front of them.
"You must learn to love one another, it's a must, where did hatred come from?" She asked.
Jayson pointed at Jayden who just looked away.
"I have things to handle, I can't be here idling around with a little boy."
"He's right, Esther said walking in."
"I know right?" Jayden asked, happy that his sister was here to back him up.

"Not you, Esther said. Jayson is right. The hatred started from you."
Well you're the reason my mom died, Jayden said bluntly.