Twenty five

A/N: Double update because why not? 🤷🏻‍♀️

"Any other issues you'd like to be discussed?" Esther asked the maids that stood in front of her. Of course no one dared say anything. She looked scary enough. "Listen y'all. I- we care about our employees and that's why we're asking if there's anything you need, to make your work easier or anything at all?" Esther said again.

Elena scoffed. To be honest, Esther looked quite scary. Who would even want to say anything considering the scowl on her face. Of course she just had to come with her side kick. The other princess that sat by Elena's side wasn't saying anything. She just wore a scowl on her face and sniggered from time to time. She watched the two princesses whisper something to each other and laugh like maniacs. She sighed and focused on the huge gate that separated the main castle from the maids quarters. She missed Jayden. He'd been gone for two days and was expected back home that day. Jayden.... the name alone made her smile. She wished he was here to kiss her senseless and maybe make love to her. She wished he could smile at her and hold her hands. She smiled and brought her hands up to her lips. Jayden's lips were soft and had this natural sweetness that she couldn't get enough of.

"...so that's all. Elena?" Esther called. She noticed the court lady was not listening and after observing her for some seconds she concluded that indeed, Elena had zoned out. "Was this gate fixed recently?" Esther asked the servants. Dani answered saying that the gate had been there before she even came as a mere maid. "So why the hell is Elena staring at it and smiling?" Esther shouted. She was pissed. Pissed that the stupid court-lady who she had considered sparing -because of her overly long hair-wasn't even listening to her.

Elena jumped immediately she heard Esther shout. It took her a few seconds before she could realize that the princess was actually talking to her. "My la...."

"Get me scissors Dani!" Esther ordered again before she stood up. The other princess that sat beside her forced her to sit down and whispered something to her. Whatever it was made Esther to visibly relax.

Elena thanked her stars as Esther relaxed. She prayed hard that Esther would actually let her off, she was leaving the palace in a week and she really didn't want anything to cause problems for her.

Dani appeared minutes later, breathing fast with the sharpest scissors Elena had ever seen. Dani looked at her apologetically and handed over the scissors to Esther.

Esther smiled as she looked the scissors over and stood up again. "Now this will serve as a lesson to all of you. To never grow your out your hair again. I've been really lenient for the time being so after today, I don't want to see any hair pass shoulder length ever again." Esther smiled and gestured for Elena to come closer. "As you all may or may not know, the princess beside me is my best friend. Princess Rebecca." Esther smiled again and looked at Elena who looked at her pleadingly. "She's betrothed to prince Jayden. Actually she has been for 6 years now. She'll be the one cut Elena's hair."

Betrothed! Elena's eyes stung and her mouth hung open. before she knew it, she was crying. She couldn't stop the tears that rolled down her cheeks. Betrothed? She thought they were friends. Just mere friends. But betrothed. That was a lot to take in. The man who had taken her virginity was betrothed to someone else. A princess for that matter. The man who had told her repeatedly that he loved her was betrothed. She couldn't prevent the sob that escaped her lips. That means Jayson knew all this while, the matron too. Her very own aunty Anne!
What was she thinking? That Jayden was actually into her? He was a prince for goodness sake. Elena stared at 'The princess Rebecca' as she descended the steps with the scissors in hand. There was no way Elena could compare to the angel in front of her. Then suddenly she felt bad and horrible. She slept with this lady's betrothed. She was disappointed in herself for even crushing on Jayden in the first place.

"Can you stand straight?" Rebecca's sweet voice said behind Elena. Elena turned around immediately to face Rebecca. "No, turn around please. Where's the head maid? Please get rid of the stinky ropes on her hair." Rebecca scoffed. "Did you really think she wouldn't notice?" Esther shrugged and Rebecca smirked. "I think I've seen you before. You came to king Desmond's Castle with the princes yes?" Elena nodded. "You were quite close to Jayson and Jayden. You really don't know your place do you?"

"She doesn't. She's quite the slut." Esther replied behind Dani who's hands were working against the firmly tied ropes on Elena's hair. "She's been snooping around Jayden a lot lately. I suggest you hold onto your man."

"Ooh!" Rebecca exclaimed. "Does she steal your hair products? It's quite healthy."

"Obviously she does. I don't know why Jayson doesn't see it." Esther chuckled. "I'll make sure you keep an eye on her. Cut it, we don't have all day."

"I'll be cutting it by inches." Rebecca announced as she brought Elena's hair together and cut off the first inch.

Pain. That was what Elena felt. Her Jayden was just a cheat. Well not really The hair her mom worked so hard on was being cut off. Her mom was right. The palace brought nothing but pain. Now she knew why her mom didn't want her to come to the palace. She squeezed her eyes shut as another inch fell off. She was crying fully now. Her mouth was clamped shut while tears rolled down her cheeks. She regretted ever coming to the palace.

Jayson ran as fast as his legs could him. He'd heard from a man servant that Esther had gathered the court ladies and maids to the maids quarters. He had a feeling that something bad would happened and that was why he was dashing towards the maids quarters. He pushed the gates and searched longingly for Elena. The maids were standing still watching something that was apparently very interesting. He saw silver that caught the reflection of the sun. He looked harder and it was a scissors. "Stop!" He yelled. He couldn't think straight. He remembered that Esther had wanted to cut Elena's hair. His heart sank. Did Esther actually cut Elena's hair?

Everyone stood still as they heard Jayson yell. The maids turned around quickly while Esther just frowned. Rebecca who was about to cut another inch from Elena's hair stopped and turned to face Jayson. "Why?" Rebecca asked.

Jayson didn't reply. He wasn't in the mood to reply. He was heartbroken for Elena. The situation he just saw already explained itself to him. How could Esther do such a thing? He wondered how Elena would feel. She'd surely feel betrayed. He walked quickly to where Elena stood. She had all over her shoulders and some on the floor. He pulled her by her hand and walked away quickly, ignoring Esther's calls.

I guess the drama has started.