Chapter 11

The restaurant is nicer than I expected. The dim lighting and live music surround me. In front of the guitarist, is a small dance floor. Two couples are dancing along with the music. There's tables and booths surrounding the stage and a few pool tables in the back near the bar.

"It's nice here," I comment.

Shawn looks back at me, smiling. "I'm glad you think so."

The waitress shows us to a table where we can hear the music. "You've been in Lovettsville for how long now?" Shawn asks, passing me a menu.

"I think a little more than a month," I reply, taking the menu from him.

"A whole month," he continues, "and you haven't even heard of this place before?"

"There's a first time for everything isn't there?" I raise my eyebrows at him.

He shakes his head laughing. "What are you going to order?"

I scan the menu briefly, before meeting his eyes again. "Can't go wrong with a burger and fries," I reply. He nods and the waitress returns to our table. I watch as Shawn orders two burgers with fries. He takes my menu and hands it to the waitress, smiling wide.

"What's your deal?" I ask him, leaning in closer.

"My deal?" He repeats after me.

"I just- I can't read you," I sigh. "I don't know what you're thinking."

"Huh, well you could always just ask me," he grins slyly.

"As if you'd tell me anyways," I tease him.

"Right now, I'm feeling... intrigued," he finishes, raising his eyebrows.

"How so?"

"You intrigue me," he says. I stroke my hand through my hair and lean in closer.

"Do I?" I smirk. His faces turns a light pink and he leans forward with me. We're interrupted by the waitress who brings us our food. I take my meal and try out a fry. "Delicious," I tell her. She smiles and leaves us alone.

"Seriously though," Shawn continues. "Tell me something that no one here knows about you."

I stop for a second to think. "I've never had a boyfriend," I reply.

"Well that's no secret," he jokes. I toss a french fry at him and playfully roll my eyes.

"Your turn, what's something no one here knows about you."

He clenches his jaw slightly, thinking. "I'm broke," he says. I stare back at him confused.

"What are you spending your money on?" I ask. He shifts in his seat uncomfortably. "Your nice car?" I joke, attempting to ease the tension.

"Something like that," he replies softly. He looks down at the floor, deep in thought.

"It's none of my business," I say. "Your turn again, ask me another question." He looks back up at me. I can tell he appreciates the change of subject.

"Ok," he sighs. "What was your life like back in DC?"

My throat feels tight as I ponder how to respond. "I didn't have a life back then," I say. "I just went to school and went back home."

He looks at me to elaborate but I pretend not to notice. "What made you move out here then?" He asks. I squirm in my chair suddenly feeling uneasy.

I want to tell him everything. But I know I can't. Why am I even here? I know nothing can come of this. I can't trust anyone, I can't let anyone in.

"Nice try, but it's my turn," I say, brushing off my thoughts. "Why don't you do friends?"

Shawn laughs, swallowing a bite of his burger. "I'm here with you aren't I?" He answers.

"Is that all we are then? Friends?"

"Can't ask two questions," he says, waving his finger at me.

"I can if you don't answer the first one," I smirk, swatting his finger away.

He leans back in his chair and laughs. "What do you want us to be?"

I look back at him, unsure how to answer. I fiddle with the hem of my dress and stuff down another fry. "I don't know."

He stares back at me with a blank expression, and yet again I find myself struggling to read him.

"Well we could always be sworn enemies if not friends," he responds, grinning. I scoff at him playfully and take another bite of my burger.

***

We small talk about school and more, while we finish eating. "Do you want dessert?" Shawn turns to me.

"I'm okay," I reply, cleaning up my place.

"She'll have a strawberry milkshake to go," he tells the waitress. "One for me too." I smile back at him, surprised.

"How did you know I love strawberry milkshakes?" I question him, attempting to hide the happiness in my voice.

"Dave might've given me some pointers," he grins back shyly. I laugh, imagining Dave advising him on what my favorite dessert is. "Let's dance," Shawn says, holding out his hand.

I take it hesitantly, "Did you forget what happened the last time we danced?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

He laughs and leads me to the dance floor. "I'll take my chances."

He places his hands gently on my hips, swaying to the soft guitar in the background. My arms wrap around his neck and I look at his face. I notice a small scar on his cheekbone that I'd never seen before. He notices my staring and pushes me farther for a spin. He stops me halfway through, and holds me in front of him. I feel his warmth on my bare back and a shiver runs down my spine. He gently brushes the hair off my shoulder and leans in close. I can feel his warm breath on my neck as we continue swaying to the music. His arms wrap around me, holding me close. I rest my hands on top of his, slowly turning my head towards him. He lets go of me slightly and traces his finger along my back. I freeze when I realize what he's doing.

I push away from him and turn to face his body. I move my hair so it covers my back again. His face is filled with worry. "How'd you get that?" He asks me, a hint of concern in his voice.

"It's nothing," I reply plainly. "I think we should be going now," I mumble, walking away from the dance floor.

Shawn grabs my hand and pulls me back to him. "What happened to you, Mai?" He cups my face in his hand and stares at me longingly.

I lift my hand up to his face, grazing the scar I had noticed earlier. "You first."