Chapter One: Eligible

What to expect in this book: gore, blood, dark scenes, murder

"Your grace, please wake up. Breakfast is to be served in a few more minutes, perhaps it's time to dress up?" Imelda spoke softly, withdrawing the curtains as the light struck me in the eyes so blindly in greeting.

I rolled around and tucked the white covers above my face, "Please tell mother that I will not wake up after one more year!" I groaned. A knock on the door was heard while it softly twist and turned. I opened one eye to see my mother's scornful look, "(Y/n), what are you doing in bed? Get up this instant!" she raised her voice and I could do nothing but comply.

My mother wasn't always like this. I could still vividly remember of my younger years, where she always cradled me in her arms. Instead of screaming at my face, she would instead whisper sweet nothings. "A woman will always have her hair intact at all times, (y/n)!" she said, brushing through my hair.

"Ow!" I let out in every brutal stroke, "Oh my, (y/n). What am I to do with you?" she sighed to herself, her voice suddenly softening. I got up from the bed, brushing down the baby hairs that stood. "Please go, mother. I'll let Imelda take care of me." I looked at her at the corner of my eye.

She nod her head in reply and took her leave from my room, the clicking of her heel to be heard creaking against the wooden, oak floor. I let go of the breath that I held in and faced Imelda who already held the corset in front of me.

I took a deep breath and shook my head, "Let's get this thing over with." I mumbled to myself, clutching on the edges of the white varnished vanity.

I wore an empire, dark, emerald rich green dress. A fitted bodice that ends just below the bust, giving me a high-waisted appearance and with its beautiful, flounce sleeves and a gathered skirt that is long and loosely fitted.

It was something I would usually wear around the manor for many reasons, one is that it didn't need an innumerable amount of voluminous petticoats like my mother.

I wore my hair down as usual, letting it roam freely without the tight and asphyxiating laces and head jewelries.

I went down the stairs with my light, black pumps that clicked on each step of the marble floor. The smell of freshly cooked eggs lingered through the air, the maids opened the door to the dining area as my father greeted me good morning.

I sat down across from my mother, the maid placing down a succulent meal in front of me. I setteled down the opened book on my lap and took the silverware, digging in to the scrummy food.

The sound of knives and forks against the glass plate was the only thing to be heard in this room, pairing it with my mother's intense stare. "(Y/n), darling." my father caught off the silence, the sounds suddenly coming to a hush.

"Yes, father?" I asked with a raised brow and laid the book on the table closed.

He cleared his throat and took a glass of water, with a gulp he looked back at me. "Don't you think it's time to start finding an eligible partner for you again, (y/n)?" he asked, exchanging looks with my mother. "Father, mother, didn't I already said that I don't want to get married?" I furrowed my brows and raised my tone.

My mother stood up from her sit and snatched the book from the table, "Your nose is always stuck on a book! and I have enough of your childish plays, (y/n)!" she replied back while tearing every page out of her own frustration.

I stood up from the chair with tears running down my cheek, "Stop it, mother!" I cried and tried to take my book back but it was no use as the pages thinned. She threw it on the floor and placed a white invitation in front of me, "The prince had sent an invitation to every eligible ladies, and you're going out there whether you like it or not, (y/n)!" she said as I stormed out of the room.

I went up the stairs in a haste and slammed the doors close, plopping down to the bed with a sigh. The silence in the air only made me more annoyed, making me twist and turn until the bedsheets wrapped around my body. A soft knock on the door was heard and I instantly knew who it was.

"Come in, Imelda." I gave permission, twisting the doorknob gently and peeking inside until she fully entered the room. "You...your grace." she bowed her head low as I got up with a huff, "I don't get it, Imelda! Why can't they just leave me alone! I don't want a man!" I complained and let myself fall back on the soft mattress.

"Your grace, I believe that they're only looking out for you." she replied, "Oh, to sell me to a man? I don't think so." I rolled my eyes and sat back up, gazing at the window. "Well...what if you just go to the ball, my lady? It wouldn't hurt to go. There would be a lot of ladies to attend." she gave me a smile with a coaxing tone.

She took my hand with her pale one and gave me the white invitation to the royal ball with a stamp of indication of the royal family of Stormbore. I gulped and tried my best to not let my rage take over and rip the envelope in shreds.

Oh, to have a chance to get engaged to a man I would just meet was utterly preposterous in any shape or form. A prince who had such a staggering reputation was already bad enough. "I heard that the prince is cruel and a crook!"

"Oh, your grace. I heard rather more pleasant things about him! How handsome and charming he is, and how well-mannered the prince could be!" Imelda swooned over with her dreamy, fluttering eyes.

"Imelda, you're more excited than I am." I crossed both of my arms close to my chest. "Your grace, my point is, you should go to the ball! It wouldn't hurt to try, yes?" she nudged her head forward, taking my hand with a gentle press of persuasion.

I looked into Imelda's brown eyes as she put a strand of her red hair behind her ear. "Fine, I'll go." I mumbled under my breath, looking away from her.

"Perfect!" I heard my mother rejoice from behind the door as it opened. My eyes widen in surprise and I stumbled backwards, "Mother!" she put both hands to my shoulders and pulled me into a hug, stroking my (h/l), (h/c) hair with a gentle touch.

"I must find the most precious and beautiful gown for you to wear tonight, (y/n)!"