"Be alright" - Remus Lupin

"Rem?"

"mh," he absent-mindedly acknowledged you. You were in his dorm room, Remus at his desk working on his homework while you were laying in his bed reading. At least that's what he thought you were doing.

In truth, your mind was elsewhere sure, but not in a far way fictional land. You wish.

Instead, your mind has chosen to focus on something that happened earlier that morning and wasn't keen on letting it go. No matter how hard you tried, you couldn't help but think about what you saw, about what it meant, what it implied.

When your thoughts became too much, you turned to a third party. The words almost tumbling out of your mouth involuntarily.

"Am I annoying?"

"What?" he chuckled, clearly being taken back by your question. However, the tone of your voice, the edge he could hear in it, made him look at you.

"Am I a bad company?" you insisted, wording your sentence a bit differently.

"Where's this coming from?" Turning around on his chair, Remus now faced you completely and he hoped that feeling his attention on you, you'd turn to look at him.

"There must be something about me that pushes people away. There must be something I'm not doing right, I can't figure out what though." instead, you continued, swallowing the lump in your throat, doing your best - and failing - at trying to not let this get to you.

Through all this, you don't meet his eyes. You stare at the ceiling of his room like you could find your answers there. But of course, you won't.

After a beat, you felt the bed dip. In the corner of your eye, you can see Remus laying next to you. His head where your feet are so that he can see your face but still, you don't meet his eyes.

"Wanna tell me what happened?" he softly asks. Remus knows not to push you for information before you're ready to share them yourself. But you look so upset. Lines forming between your brows, your lips in a pout.

He wonders what could have possibly had this effect on you.

"Esme and Kary met up without telling me. I saw them setting off to Hogsmead together this morning."

Esme and Kary were two of your closest friends. Remus knew how much you cared about them. He also knew that you were quick to think the worst. Maybe there was a reason why they hadn't told you anything, why they hadn't invited you. And so Remus told you as much.

"It's not the first time this has happened," you murmured with a shake of your head, "I think they just wanted to spend some time without me."

Remus heard your voice wavering. He knew you too well to miss the signs of your sadness.

He was sure that there was an explanation for this. One that didn't imply that you weren't a good enough friend. But now, it wasn't the time to rationalize. Now it was the time for comfort.

So, without another word, Remus turned around. Your face was now levelled with his chest. Wrapping an arm around your shoulders he gently tugged you to him.

Despite your unwillingness to meet his eyes, you didn't resist him. This was what you needed, after all. The kind of comfort that came from silence and closeness. You had first discovered this with Remus and quickly found that it wasn't something you could easily replicate with another.

It wasn't simply the act that worked. It was Remus.

Buring your face into his sweater, Remus hand softly massaging your scalp, you let out a sigh trying to push away every negative thought.

You were here and now with Remus.

Remus, who was whispering sweet nothings and words of reassurance in your hair. Remus whose legs were now tangled with yours. Remus, who had abandoned his homework without a thought when he sensed your distress. Remus, who was always there for you.

Focusing on your boyfriend turned out to be the winning tactic. He was a batter subject to think about anyway.

Feeling his hands slowly trading down your neck, you felt your chest fill with warmth for him. You loved him so much.

And he was yours.

And you were his.

And everything was going to be alright.