Chapter Three: Maridun

22 BBY - 4 Months After Geonosis

.oOo.

"Sir, we understand your... Complaints, but we urge you to reconsider joining the Republic." Anakin Skywalker sat across from Tee Wat Kaa in one of the Lurmen pod houses.

"I will not join a cause I do not believe in. We will stay neutral in your war." Tee Wat Kaa was stubborn, if you ask Anakin. Then again, Anakin was stubborn, if you ask Anakin.

"Respectfully, sir, what about our cause do you not believe in?" Anakin's padawan, Ahsoka, asked. She was always curious. Aayla sat next to Ahsoka, watching the conversation unfold.

"War, child! Making children, like yourself, fight in it, nonetheless! It's madness! Making children fight! Tell me child, did you get the choice to not fight? Hmm?" Ahsoka shook her head. " and you, in the blue armor!" Bly's head shot up, he was not expecting to have to talk. Thankfully, Tee Wat Kaa was looking at Captain Rex. "Did you get a choice? Bred for war! They have you trapped like a tooka in a cage but you can't see it! Tell me, soldier. Are you a slave to the Republic?"

"I have never felt that way, sir." Rex answered.

"Answer this for me. If you wanted to leave the Republic, what would you do?"

"I um. I'm not sure sir. I've never thought about it."

"Because that will never happen? Because they have you on a leash?"

"I-"

The short Lurmen looked at Bly.

Crap.

"And you. What do you dream of at night?"

"I um. I dream of after the war, sir."

"Hmm. What about it?"

"Finding someplace nice to live. Maybe..." Bly exhaled. "Maybe have a family."

"And will you be able to do that?"

"I-" Bly sighed. "Probably not."

"All of you, even you Jedi, are slaves to the Republic. You two are slaves to the Jedi. You just don't see it." Tee Wat Kaa finished.

Bly cleared his throat. "Respectfully, sir, I don't think we are slaves. Not once, since I first battle, have felt like I had no choice. I've never felt like I don't matter. And I think Captain Rex would agree with me." Captain Rex nodded from across the room. "Even in the middle of battle, I know I'm not a slave to the Jedi. And sir, it's because of my Jedi. She, along with General Skywalker and Commander Tano, have put their lives in line multiple times for us clones. So, with all due respect, sir. We are not slaves."

Tee Wat Kaa stayed silent. "I still am not going to join your cause."

Aayla finally spoke up. "Then we will not press you any further. Thank you for your time."

The Republic representatives got up and walked to the LAAT waiting for them on the outskirts of the Lurmen village.

.oOo.

Shut up and go to sleep. Aayla told her brain. They had arrived on the Liberty two hours ago and Aayla had been trying to sleep for an hour already. She was glad to be home again, but she wished she could get some sleep for the first time in days. What time is it anyway? Aayla rolled over and looked at her chrono: 0038. Ugh. I'll never sleep. Without thinking about changing out of her pajamas, Aayla went to the training room. No one was allowed out of the barracks at this time anyway, plus her outfit wasn't much different than her regular one, so she didn't mind.

The last thing Bly expected to see when he walked in the training room at 01:24 was General Secura and doing pull-ups. He realized he should have worn all of his armor. Sure, he had his blacks on, but he felt naked. Aayla looked at Bly and weakly smiled when he walked in, but she did not stop her exercise. "Sorry, I'll go." Bly turned around to leave.

"Stay. I can't sleep and company is better than being alone."

Bly turned around and went to the bar next to Aayla. They worked in silence for a few minutes.

"Did you mean what you said on Maridun?"

"Which part? The end?" Aayla nodded. "Yeah? I did."

Aayla opened her mouth, but closed it again. "Thank you." She replied quietly and smiled.

"Of course, General." He smiled back.

"Bly, when it's just us, call me Aayla, okay?"

"Yes, gen- Aayla. Sorry, habit."

"It's fine."

How the heck is she doing this for so long? Toughen up Bly, you've only been doing pull-ups for ten minutes. She's probably been doing them for twenty. Kriff she's strong. Bly could feel his arms shaking, and him slowing down. Aayla kept getting faster. How did I not notice her abs before? She's kriffin ripped. Haar'chak Bly! Cut it out! She's your general!

"Hello? Bly?" Aayla was stretching on the ground. Bly hadn't noticed her stopping.

"Sorry, what."

Aayla laughed. "I asked if you wanted to spar."

"Oh yeah, sure." Bly dropped down to the floor and followed Aayla to her favorite mat, mat four.

They circled each other for half a minute before Aayla gave a mischievous grin and lunged at Bly, almost hitting him in the shoulder.

That was close. I got this. If I can beat Wolffe, I can beat Aayla... Maybe.

Bly swung his leg around, hitting Aayla behind the knee. If not for her sudden backflip, Aayla would have fallen on the floor. Aayla appeared on Bly's side and grabbed his arm. Bly didn't know how, but he was somehow laying on his back staring at the ceiling.

"Darn it." Bly stood up. "You're good." Aayla smiled.

"Again?"

"Sure, why not?" They continued sparring for another half hour when Bly won. "Finally. You hungry?"

"Yeah. You?"

"Yeah. The mess is closed but I have some ration bars stashed away if you want some."

Aayla yawned. "Uh, sure. I'll wait here."

"Be right back." Bly jogged out of the room.

Bly returned only to find a sleeping Twi'lek on the bench. She looks so peaceful. "Gener- Aayla?" Aayla stirred but didn't wake up. "I'm tired too." What do I do now? "Please don't kill me." Bly muttered as he slid his hand around her back and the other under her knees. Aayla stirred again but still didn't wake up. Bly headed out the door and towards Aayla's quarters. In case of emergency, Bly had memorized where everything was on the Liberty. Never a bad thing to do. She's light for how strong she is. Only then did Bly realize how weird they probably looked right then. Bly, in only his blacks, and Aayla in only a sports bra and leggings. He quickly walked to Aayla's quarters and put her hand up to the scanner. Gently, as not to wake her up, Bly set Aayla in her bed.

"Who was the girl in your dream?" Aayla spoke quietly and slurred, as she was still mostly asleep.

Bly's face froze. He ignored the question while he took off Aayla's boots and set them on the floor. He pulled the blanket up to her shoulders and left the room. He leaned his head against the door and sighed.

"She was you."

.oOo.

Haar'chak in Mando'a is darn it.