Chapter 1, Normal

"Dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh, over the fields we go, laughing all the way-" I turned off the loud radio, and sluggishly walked through the hallways to awaken my mother. It was Christmas Eve, and I really should have been more excited. I tossed with my dressing gown, slowly weaving my fingers in, and out of it's one small whole. Johanna had tried for me to get rid of it, but I could not bear the thought, as it was my grandmother's when she was my age. Johanna is my nanny, who my mother knew when they were kids. As I walked down the hall, I saw Madge sitting in front of the bathroom mirror, Johana softly braiding her blond curly hair. Today was the day I had been dreading my whole life. It was the day of the testing. When a child turns the age of 15, they are tested. If your test reads that you are one of the Different, you will be separated. I've seen Josie Ruth, carried away, thrashing, and screaming. They make everyone watch, as a symbol of their power. The great Federation strives for a Utopia, where everyone who is one of the different is gone. There was a war 10 years ago, the different fought the normals. After that, the normals have been trying to breed out the Different. I head back to my wardrobe, and find my grandmother's mint green dress. I have been saving it for today. Johanna comes in, and slowly ties the bow in the back. 

       "Nothing to worry about Livia, you are not one of them." I tell myself to calm down, and that she is right. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *