Chapter 2, Different

I am walking Madge to the town square after school. I hold her soft hand, as she hums the Federation Anthem, kicking a rock along the pathway. I glance at the blueberry bush where Josie Ruth and Ennis, her boyfriend, always held hands.When she was carried away last year, I saw him running here. No one has seen Ennis Green since.  When we get to the square, the testing platform is already set up. People have started gathering around it, so I stand on my toes, to look. Above a chair, is a headspaced bowl, with a pole attached. There is a woman, with a name tag "Tessie".

She reads names, one by one. There seems to be none of the  different in my birth  month category. I push my way through the crowd to the group marked January.  And then, she calls  "Jonah Kang". Jonah, Ennis, Josie ruth, Maxine Greer, and I used to play together in his tree house. Sometimes after primary school we would swim in the lake behind Maxine's house. After Jonah moved away, we stopped talking, and he fell out of my life. I think he still dislikes me for it.

I see him slowly, nervously walk up to the Testing platform. I watch as she brings the bowl, slowly over the top of his head. His eyes close, and his face goes blank. When she takes the bowl off, Tessie stares at the computer for a very long time. And then, she flatly says, "Different". The crowd's  mouths drop open, and I can see Jonah Kang's body go limp with shock. We see them carry him away, he isn't even hesitating, almost just accepting his fate. Few more kids get tested, before Tessie calls
my name.

"Olivia Rose  Jones". I walk up to the testing area, biting the inside of my cheek. I slowly sit in the chair.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter two, things are going to go down

Word count : 314 words.