Change Is Gonna Come

(Marina's POV)

"Hang on, Quinn! Hang on!", I begged, as I ran through the halls to get to the med bay, while carrying her. "I'm sorry. I should have told you.", Quinn apologized to me.

I enter the next bay and called out, "What do I do Hue?!" "Place Quinn in the pod, Marina. That's all we can do for now.", Hue replied.

I nod and shakily go to place Quinn in the pod, accidentally hitting her head on a piece of equipment. "Oh, shit! I am so sorry, Quinn.", I apologized to her, placing her down onto the pod bed.

"You trying to kill me?", Quinn jokingly asked, as an attempt to lighten up the situation. A couple of tears filled my eyes, as I looked down at her.

"That's not funny, Quinn! That's not funny!", I sobbed. She reached up and wiped a tear away.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to see you smile again.", Quinn said. Her hand fell, as she lost consciousness.

"Quinn... Quinn!", I called out to her, kneeling down. "Hue, please tell me she's sleeping.", I begged.

"Yes, Marina. Just sleeping.", Hue replied.

(3rd POV)

The door opens and Anaya and Gary are in the door way. Gary walks over to comfort his girlfriend, while Anaya's gaze was fixed on Quinn.

Remorse and sorrow filled her eyes, as she stood at the doorway, fighting off tears. Avocato, Little Cato, Alex, Mooncake, and Sheryl walk up to her and she quickly wipes her eyes and they join Gary and a bawling Marina.

(Anaya's POV)

"Give me an update, Hue. What do we know about Final Space poisoning?", Marina asked Hue. "Think of it like stagnant water... A breeding pool for disease. When Final Space was sealed away from the flow of the universe, space-time itself stagnated, poisoning all organic matter.", Hue explained.

"What's the cure?", I asked Hue, trying to hide my desperation. "Oh, there isn't a cure.", Hue informed us.

It takes all of my strength not to collapse to my knees. Alex lets out a small whimper, her tail tucking between her legs.

I quickly leave the room, as I hear Marina saying, "Figure it out, Hue. Please." I walk up to a window and pull out my medicine bottle of antidepressants and take two.

I look at the bottle and only notice one left. I sigh and slide down against a wall and buried my head into my hands.

This is all my fault.

(Marina's POV)

Everyone but Gary left the med bay. "I wish I knew what she was going through. I wish she told me.", I said, as Gary rubbed my back, as an attempt to comfort me.

"It would not have helped, Marina.", Hue stated. "How do you know?!", Gary demanded.

"Because I did know what she was going through. And there was nothing that I could do about it.", Hue replied. "Wait... You knew Quinn was sick? And you didn't tell me?!", I asked him, trying to not loose my cool.

Gary poured me a glass of whiskey and I swallowed it, as Hue asked, "It did feel wrong. But then for some reason. I did it anyway. Is that what being human feels like?" I ignore him and take a seat in one of the chairs Gary pulled up for me.