Chapter 20

Isabella

"Thank you, Elinor, you may leave us."

The maid curtsies quickly before rushing out the door, her skirts swishing around her ankles. "I heard about what happened in the city, are you alright?"

"Yes yes, I am perfectly okay."

"That is good news."

"Speaking of news, I heard that Amy Woodbrygg, the poor whorish blonde duchess..."

"The one who's necklines are lower than ones found in a brothel?"

"Yes. Well she got married off to the Duke of Averi. Apparently he refused her request for an open marriage, she threw her shoe at his head and then went off and slept with his valet."

"She's trying too hard to be like the Merton's, but looking more like she belongs in a brothel and of a higher station."

"The Merton's?"

"Oh yes, the Lord and Lady Oliver Merton; they have an open marriage."

"Lady Beatrice Merton, she's said to sleep with anyone. Rumor is that she's slept with every man within a ten mile radius of her husband's house."

"Rumor is that she does it for information."

"That open marriage of theirs is just for information. She's a spy hidden among the sheets."

"Does she have children?"

"Heavens no, she can't with all the anti-pregnancy tonics she's on."

"How do you know that?"

"Maids who hate their mistresses talk."

"I could never deal with all that stress."

"That's because you've been happily married your whole life, Catherine."

"That is not a problem for you either, Jane."

"And it will never be a problem for Her Majesty."

"Thank you Rebecca."

"Honestly, ma'am I don't know how you do it."

"To be quite frank, I don't know either."

"Nonsense."

"It's the truth; it was not likely that I was raised far too much above my station, even as my parents made it so I had an education most do not have. I was blessed with the opportunity to come to the palace and somehow, I pray it was not because my face was slashed open, we fell in love. I do not know why he insisted on it, but he did, and even so I still have no clue what I am supposed to be doing."

"Ma'am you downgrade your story and yourself. You both have wonderful instincts and yours just happen to overrule the lack of appropriate teaching you need and allow you to help run a country."

"Thank you Jane."

"Does anyone need more tea?"

"I would, thank you Rebecca."

"You know what would be wonderful? Cream puffs."

"With this table nearly collapsing from the weight of all of the pastries and tea cakes?"

"I have not had one in ages."

"Why the heavens not?"

"The new chef we got a few months ago simply refuses to make them. He says that making them would be a disgrace to the kitchen."

"No!"

"And my children love them, but they can't have them unless I go out and buy them which is rare. It's like I'm not even in charge of the house anymore."