Where We Be Headed?

Rohan tripped over his footing, running into the stables. Eleanor looked over to him from a horse. Aragorn held out his hand to help Rohan up but the boy ignored it and heaved himself onto the horse on his own.

‘What’s happening?’ Eleanor whispered tearfully. Aragorn sighed. ‘We received a message saying that the second will return. We thought it was a joke but evidently not.’

Rohan felt his stomach twist into a tight knot. ‘Where’s mother?’ He tried to distract his father from his unease. Aragorn looked at his son, pain in his eyes. ‘She’ll be heading to Mordor. We are still in the process of rebuilding it and Eowyn is there. The two will wait for the women and children to arrive and take them somewhere safe and hidden.’

‘Then why we be going to the Shire?’ Eleanor asked, wrapping her arms around the horse’s neck. Aragorn looked tired and weary and for the first time, Rohan realised what being a king had done to his father.

‘Papa?’ Eleanor asked. ‘Why we be going to the Shire?’

Aragorn kissed her forehead. ‘Because Ellie, you are going to stay with Rosie. I have sent a message to Sam that will be given to Rohan upon your arrival. It will tell you what to do.’

Rohan frowned but before he could ask any further, Aragorn let go of the horse’s reins, shouting for it to leave.

‘Wait!’ Rohan shouted but the sound of rocks and buildings crumbling and hooves running overpowered his voice. The last thing he saw before the hose turned the corner was Faramir running up to Aragorn, pointing in Rohan’s direction.

Rohan woke with dust flying into his face. He coughed and spluttered, sitting up, realising he was still on the horse. The smart animal had directions for Shire embedded in its brain. Eleanor was sound asleep, her face buried in the horse’s coat. Rohan gripped Frodo’s sword tightly, watching the landscape fly past. No doubt by now, Aragorn knew about his dream and was setting plans into action. No doubt Johannes was by his side. Rohan tightened his grip around the sword, angrily wiping the tears from his eyes. Johannes. It was always Johannes who was father’s favourite. And mother’s. Always doing well in lessons and fighting. Always making friends and doing well. Never getting into trouble. Rohan put his brother at the back of his mind, grabbing the horse’s reins and shouting to make the animal gallop faster.

For days they traveled, only briefly stopping to rest on still ground and eat and drink or replenish supplies.

Then, one day, Rohan saw the glimpse of green and a man waving from a bridge. Rohan beamed. ‘Sam!’ he called, waving back. The horse pulled up in front of the man. ‘Whoa, there,’ Sam laughed. ‘Rohan! Eleanor! Good to see yer!’

Rohan jumped off the horse, hugging the man who was the same size as him. ‘Father said you’d give me a letter,’ he said in an undertone. Sam nodded, reaching into his pocket and taking out a piece of parchment. Rohan took it, unrolling it eagerly.

Rohan Aragorn had written.

I know you do not think much of me. Especially as I never seem to spend time with you. But you are my heir to the throne.

I would never, never in a thousand lifetimes make Johannes king. He’s an irritating too good suck up.

And Eleanor is a small, innocent girl who knows nothing of war and hate. She is to stay that way for as long as possible. That is why she must stay at the Shire.

But the dawn of a new war is upon us.

Rohan, someone wants power, even without the rings and I don’t know who. I don’t know where they are raising their army but it isn’t Mordor. It isn’t Gondor or Rohan and I cannot travel past my kingdom without an heir who is at least fourteen summers old. As I cannot leave the city you know as home, I need you to gather the fellowship. All of the fellowship. Since you have only heard stories, a guide will meet you at Rivendell. Also coming with you will be Sam, Merry and Pippin. You must travel past the seas to get Gandalf, Frodo and Legolas. Be careful. Trust your instincts. Keep your friends close. Remember everything that Faramir taught you and never forget that you are the king’s son.

Wishing you luck,

Aragorn

Rohan licked his lips that were now terribly dry. ‘What about Gimli?’ he asked himself.

Sam chuckled. ‘Can’t you guess? Who else would be our guide?’