Chapter Two: Masquerade

"Breathe in, your grace." Imelda tightened the lace as I sucked in my stomach as hard as I could. I clenched on the edge of the vanity, my mind feeling hazy. "Ow!" I shut my eyes close, feeling the twisting of my braids tighten and jewelries poking out of my hair.

I felt drowned in the lavishing petticoats and jewelry, and I wished nothing more but to break it off of my body. I turned around and was faced in front of a full body mirror, my eyes darting up and down on my physique.

The silhouette of my bodice was tightly fitted with its ruffles that came off my shoulders, the skirt abruptly flaring to my waist with its long, bouffant styled skirt. Everything glimmered in my eyes and the color of (f/c) made it pop out even more.

I touched the pearl necklace that hung around my neck, feeling nervous of what's to come. The twist opened and my mother came into view, her stern look suddenly coming into an awe. "Look at you, (y/n)!" she clasped her hands, going behind me with her grip on my shoulder blades.

She put a hand to my chin and made me look into the mirror, "You look just like me when I was younger!" she smiled. "Mother, are you crying?" I turned to look at her as she pat her tears dry with a thin cloth.

I felt flabbergasted from the sight of her, she never cried in front of me before. I looked down on the floor, not knowing how to act. Imelda came forward as I gazed up, "Your grace, your mask." she gave me the white masquerade mask with gold paint on its edges and on the eye sockets, with shining small gems at the upper part of the mask and gold and white feathers.

"I thought it's just a ball?" I asked in a confused tone, taking the mask with a hand. "The prince does not want his identity to be revealed in order to know the true act of his future maiden, (y/n)," my mother explained, taking the mask from my grasps and putting it on my face.

"Run along now, (y/n). The carriage is waiting." my mother stepped back and turned to her feet, leaving with the other maid following behind her.

I sighed to myself and looked at Imelda's brown eyes with a frown, "You'll be fine, your grace." she bowed her head low and beckoned me over, going down the stairs to the carriage.

As I got on, I peeked out the window. "I love you, darling!" my mother blew a kiss as I hunted for Imelda. She looked at me with reassurance, mouthing a comforting word. You'll be okay.

I stared at the window as the manor began to get farther and farther away until I no longer see the sight of it.

I sat back on the cushioned chair, clenching both of my fists on my skirt.

When the carriage came to a stop, my heart began to palpitate with both of my hands sweating. The carriage door swung open, when I peeked outside I saw many people going up the grand staircase to the palace. I let the man help me out of the carriage and began to walk my way up.

With each step that I took, the more nervous I felt. I wanted to hide, to hide away inside my mask and disappear in a spur of the moment.

The music filled the massive ballroom with its vast majority of women, all giggling and whispering to each other with their feathered fans. Eyes of both men and women fell on me but I only looked down on the marbled floor, feeling anxious from the crowd.

Some had very peculiar masks on, while others had the similar mask on like I do. It was a huge rendezvous in this room and all I could was turn into a wallflower, staring right into thin air with nothing to do.

"I wish you were hear, Imelda." I whispered under my breath, yearning for company.

I took a sip of water to clear my dried throat and fiddled with my fingers. Most of the people talked and laughed, being social unlike me who only sat down. "What is a lovely young lady doing here all quiet, now?" a smooth, masculine tone of voice made me flinch.

I looked up to see a tall, and thin built man with golden, silky blonde hair and a white suit on to pair his beautiful blue, oceanic eyes and harp jawline. He wore a golden mask on his face, with his lips curved to a gentle smile.

"I...well...I'm not really one to have many friends." I chuckled nervously, "You must be (y/n)? Correct? I heard your name when the speaker announced your arrival." he spoke, sitting across from me as I try to hide my flustered look.

"I'm flattered that you still remember my name, my lord!" I gasped with wide eyes, leaning forward from the table. He rest his chin to his hand and smirked, "With a name like yours, how couldn't I? It's a lovely name like an exquisite princess like you." he let's out a quiet laugh, making me sink back in my seat even farther.

"Oh, please. I am nowhere near a princess, my lord. I am nothing more but a duke's daughter." I replied to his compliment, clutching on both of my hands as I rest it on my lap.

"Well then," he got up from his sit and adjust his vest as he straightened out the wrinkles from his suit. I eyed him as he stood in front of me with a hand out, "Shall we dance, my lady?"