Chapter 2

Year 829: The Underground City of the Walls

"Shhh, you have to be quiet"

I stared at the small boy that stood outside my window helping me climb out.

"Levi where are we going?" I asked taking his hand and letting him lead the way.

"To our hideout" he said quickly motioning me to be quite.

I followed behind him trying to study his features. I couldn't see much thanks to the lack of light. It was dark but it always was in the underground.

Slowly rubbing away the sleep from my eyes I followed him running along dark alleyways.

This felt nice. I felt free.

I wasn't supposed to be out this late in fact I wasn't supposed to be out at all.

I watched as some people dug around in trash bins trying to find anything to eat. It would be a miracle if someone found something because down here nothing ever went to wast in fact we didn't even have things to waste in the first place.

Elderly men and women scattered the streets while the younger women and men worked in what they could find.

The only thing missing was children.

I would like to think that the people down here understood that children shouldn't be brought into a world like this but the truth is that many children are born but never truly get to live.

There wasn't many people our age down in the underground, there was only him and I but that was all we needed.

I felt the boy come to a stop in front of an old abandoned house when we reached the outskirts of the city.

At some point me and Levi had come across the old house and claimed it as our own coming here anytime we were bored or just wanted to pretend like we were the only ones in the world.

"Come on"

I obliged crawling under the broken door and making my way to the old couch that I knew oh so well.

We sat in silence but I couldn't help but see the deteriorated state that my best friend was in. Although we were children it was easy to see in his eyes that he knew far more about the injustices of this world than a normal person would.

"Your hair has gotten longer"

He ran his hand through his hair at my comment slowly nodding.

"Mom said she would cut it when she got better" Once he responded I noticed the underlying sadness in his tone.

"How is she?" I asked carefully.

The boy stiffened slightly looking over at me.

"She's gotten worse but she tries to hide it"

In that moment I wished that I could do something to help. It felt terrible that I only cared about seeing him smile one more time but as selfish as it was I knew I would bring down a million stars and end the world just to not see him ever cry.

"I'll stop by tomorrow and-"

"No" Levi cut me off before I could even finish my sentence.