Chapter 7 - a surprise

I carried on walking until I reached a a small pond.

A fresh breeze blew my soft hair as I inhaled. I walked over to the glistening pond and crouched down, taking a scoop of water in my hand. I splashed the liquid on my face, embracing the refreshing sensation on my skin.

I could feel Zephre's breath on my neck. He was right behind me, watching the water droplets fall off my eyelashes. I turned around and petted his snout, "I'm not mad at you anymore, just don't do that again okay?"He slightly nodded his head as I continued to pet him.

Your just a big puppy, learning about the world you live in. Zephre crouched next to me, lowering his head as he drank from the pond. I caught a glimpse of a white koi fish swim towards my reflection on the water. I slowly dipped my hand in the liquid, caressing it's fins and body.

A small smile appeared on my face, as the fish nudged against my palm. It's scales were white ,smooth and slippery.

SPLASH

Zephre jumped in the pond causing it to fling above the water, catching the beautiful koi in his mouth. I watched him swallow in satisfaction as I glared at him. He tilted his head in confusion, well it is normal for him to hunt.

After a few minutes Zephre had his fun in the pond and rested his wet head on my lap. My legs were uncomfortable from the position I was in. He made a slight grunt as he lifted his heavy head so I could move into a comfortable position. After a while we both fell asleep under a sheltering tree.

My watch began to beep. It was 4 o'clock in the afternoon, my time to leave the enclosure. I felt Zephre shift as I attempted to move his head off my lap, "come on, it's time for me to go." He moved his head slightly for some freedom but moved it back, "I need to go back, if I don't I might not be able to see you tomorrow." I was lying, of course I would need to come back, I'm his trainer.

He stared at me with his crimson eyes, making me cower ever so slightly. He began to move his head , resting it on the floor, turned away from me. I reached my head to his and placed a gentle kiss. "See you tomorrow big boy!" I opened the steel door, closing it gently to not disturb him trying to sleep.

"Boo!" I jumped back in fright, my foot tripped as I began to fall. A strong arm enveloped my waist, I could feel the strength in its muscles as the person drew me closer to their chest. "Woah! I didn't mean to scare you that much." I looked up to see gorgeous blue eyes stare back at mine, it was Owen.

"Thanks, but why are you here? This is a restricted area." I questioned him as he gently released my waist. "I tried to surprise you, the guards did put up a fight though, so I snuck in." I pulled him by his arm, dragging him through the lab and to the parking lot. "Woah, woah, what's wrong?" He looked at me with puzzlement, " I could have been fired if they found out you snuck in!" I raised my voice at him in frustration.

"Hey, it's alright no one will know, look we're outside aren't we?" I glared at him before crossing my arms, "why did you visit me anyway if you knew I could be fired?" He leaned on a tree, resting his weight against the bark. " remember how I said I wanted to show you my raptor enclosure?" I did remember it ever so slightly, it was when he dropped me off at the hotel right?

"Anyways I wanted to show it to you today, and plus I heard you finished at 4 so perfect timing." He had a slight smug look on his face. " so you stalked me?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow, "hey, don't get me wrong, I heard it from a friend of mine." Well since I did finish my shift, what's there to lose? "Alright fine, I'll go with you but no funny business!" Owen raised his fist to his chest, placing it on his left side. "Sir yes sir! I swear on my life that there will be no funny business!"

I giggled at his actions as we walked to his motorbike. I jumped on the back part of the seat, wrapping my arms around his chest. "Maybe it's not me you should be worried about." I blushed slightly at his statement, tightening my grip.

"Hold on tight!"

We began to pick up speed as the trees began to blur.

I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought, spending time with Owen...