Coward

It's been two days since my world "froze" and no one else has woken up. I hijacked a scooter, and have been driving around town every day. I'm scared. I've been experiencing splitting headaches, and every now and then I'll look out of the corner of my eye to see a part of the scenery glitching, like in a video game. I'm so scared. I knew this "oblivion" was coming, but what about the people I love? The places I love? Why didn't I get more time?! Why the hell is my life like this?

Even though the people may just be my imagination, I feel connected to them in a way I cannot quite explain. Some strange feeling, like I could predict their every move if I put my thoughts into it.

I am absurd. Delusional. Insane. Certifiably insane.

So for now, I'm sitting in my bed, staring at the ceiling. I have a knife on my bedside table, and am tensed and ready to jump into action. But somehow, I still drifted off to sleep. My dream was a nasty one. It started nice, like all nightmares do.

I was standing in a field of wildflowers, with daffodils, posies, and daisies. As I was walking along the path became darker, stained with some liquid. I bent down, running my pointer finger through the puddle nearest to my feet. When I looked at my hand, it was red with blood. I stepped back, horrified. I was surrounded by blood. The flowers were gone, replaced by mounds of dismembered corpses. "My, my... What a sight. Is your soul really that dark?" I whirled around, bracing myself. In front of me, was a tall man. He was wearing a red suit, with a black tie. He had black hair, and glasses. He pulled a book out of his suit jacket, and clicked a pen. I stared as he scribbled on the paper, and then closed the book. He held it out in midair, and let go. the book then disappeared. He looked up at me. "So, shall we get going?" He said, smiling. I took a step back. "What do you mean?" I asked, carefully pulling the knife out of my boot. "I mean, it's time for you to wake up. Stop being a fool and wake up!" I stepped away from him, falling. My heartbeat picked up, and I screamed, feeling the wind whip past my ears, as my hair was pulled about by the fierce wind. I continued to fall, the world around me changing again into complete blackness.

I woke up, shivering. When I looked around, I was in a different place. It wasn't my house. I was in a hospital bed, wearing a black hospital gown. I sat up, looking around. The room I was in was empty, and very clean. You know how hospitals are. This room had no color, everything was white. From the bed sheets to the chairs, to the medical equipment. Large, glass windows lined one wall of the room.

I slipped off the bed. My feet tingled when they touched the cold tile, and I took a few hesitant steps forward. As soon as I gained my balance, I started walking more confidently. I pushed open the glass door, into a narrow hallway. I started to run, my legs gaining strength. I sprinted. Faster. Faster. I turned a corner, almost slamming into the wall. There! The exit was so close... Two large metal doors, with small glass windows set into them. I stretched out my arms, and slammed into the doors, forcing them open. I was free! I stopped outside, panting for breath. As I straightened up, I took the chance to look at my surroundings. I was standing on a cliff, which dropped off about ten feet from where I was standing. I walked forward, hesitant. Looking at the edge of the cliff it seemed to never end, and I couldn't see the bottom because of a swirling mist.

I stepped away from the cliff again. "Well done Margaret. You were, of course, the last of the trainees to wake up, so you'll be docked points for that." I turned around, my heart pounding. It was the man I had seen before! He smiled in his calculating and sly way, like he was deciding how to dissect my body. I screamed at him. "What are you talking about?! Why the hell are you following me you sick pervert!" He looked away, pretending to be hurt. "Well, that was definitely unexpected. And if I had to be interested or attracted to any woman, she would be shorter than you, smarter, and less beautiful." I rolled my eyes. This guy was so full of himself, I wanted to gag. He walked forward, getting closer to me. I tensed, taking a small step back, at the edge of the cliff. He came up to me, our faces close. I stepped back, starting to slip off the cliff. The man reached out his arms, and time seemed to slow down as he hugged me, pulling me away from the cliff. "Well, that was close" he said. I looked up at him, and quickly pushed him away. He regained his composure, looking slightly hurt. Dusting off his suit, he straightened his glasses.

And so my real adventure began.