WEEK 1: "SEVENTH WHEEL"

Here's my first week! Why not start it off with a little adventure... a.k.a a rollercoaster :)

Prompt: "We're both seventh wheels in our friend groups.

———

I stared up at the Thunder Coaster, with its impossibly high drop and winding tracks. I turned to my best friend Amy, and tapped her shoulder.

"Um, are we really sure this is safe?" I asked. "Because structurally, I'm not sure if there's enough kinetic energy for the cart to—"

"Oh my God, just chill, Allie!" Reagan rolled her eyes. "It's obviously safe. Me and Damian have done it, like, a million times before. Right, Damian?"

Damian didn't look up from his phone, but mumbled a halfhearted affirmation. "Hmm."

Ever since he started dating Reagan, she'd gotten all mean and annoying. If it weren't for Amy, she probably wouldn't have invited me on this trip to Pinewood Theme Park.

"It'll be fine, Allie," Amy told me. Her honey-blonde hair now had pink streaks, courtesy of Reagan, and I had to remind myself not to stare. I couldn't have a crush on her anymore, no, not since she started dating Tyler. It was, like, the best friend code. "Come on, guys, before the line gets any longer."

"Hey, Amy, can I sit with—" I trailed off as Tyler draped his arms around her.

"Let's take the farthest back seat, babe," he whispered. "More private."

I turned away and pretended I didn't hear that. Reagan was obviously sitting with Damian, and the twins were linking arms. Great. I'm alone. Again.

"Singles line, over here!" yelled an employee with a blue vest. "Doubles, this way."

Amy looked over at me and pouted, but the twins and Reagan didn't even flinch. Sighing, I followed the straggling crowd of solo riders. Even though I wanted to sit on a bench and sulk until the park closed, I couldn't back out now. My hands gripped my shoulder bag as the line shuffled along. It was slow, but not slow enough for me. As I neared the gate, I still hadn't psyched myself up enough for the ride.

The singles line moved much quicker than the regular one, so I kept telling people to go in front of me. After an additional ten minutes of waiting, the rest of my group made it to the loading station. Their gate swung open first, and I watched Amy pull Tyler into the back seat, giggling. Six more artsy-looking kids paired up and filled the carts. Soon the only two spots left were in the front row.

"Group of two? Any groups of two?" the employee asked. The next group of teenagers, a goth-like group, shook their head. "Singles line, then."

The gate swung open, and I began to have second thoughts. "Um, actually, I don't think I'm going to..." I spun around to leave, and ran straight into a slender girl.

She had Asian features, and cropped hair streaked with blue. It looked way better than Amy's pink streaks, although I wasn't sure why I was comparing the two. She wore a denim vest and high-waisted shorts, with combat boots that could have easily been three inches high.

"I'll go with you," she said, bobbing her head. "Sweet. Front car."

The girl escorted me to the only two empty seats, and I had no choice but to get in with her. As I buckled the strap, I snuck a glance at her. "I—"

"Don't make excuses. You've never been on this ride before, have you?"

"No... but—"

"Then you have to do it. I saw your squad stomp all over you."