part two - The Sandlot

y/n -
"morning, mom" i say, clipping my necklace. mom turns around, looks at me and kneels down to my height. "well?" she questions. "he's too busy, mom." i tell her. "no he's not, honey! go ask him." she whispers. "uh Bill uh-" i start. "yeah?" Bill asks. "i mean, dad, uh, can we- i mean, could you..like you said, teach me to play baseball?" i finally get my sentence out. "yeah. sure. but, i gotta get this done, okay? i will later." he answers. i knew it. "oh, yeah uh, okay, that's fine." i go to turn around but mom is standing there. "uh, Bill?" mom asks. "yeah?" he replies, not looking up from his paper/work. "couldn't you take a break, and teach her now?" she asks him, holding my shoulder. "no, mom, it's really fine!" i explain. "honey, i said i would, and i will, but i'm under the gun here." Bill explains as mom ignores me. "how long could it take? can't you spare half an hour and show her now?" mom stands up for me. "mom, stop, it's okay-" i start, but get cut off.

Bill drops his pencil and sighs, standing up. "okay. i'll get my glove." he says and walks away. "see? i told you!" mom encourages. "oh, great." i sigh.

"alright, y/n, go down to the end of the yard." Bill demands and goes to the other side. "now, the key of this game is to keep your eye on the ball, m'kay?" Bill explains.

"got it?"

"yup." i say, excited. he throws the ball and it goes right past me and hits the metal fence. "sorry" i say, turning around a grabbing the ball. "it's alright, throw it back to me now." he reassures. i'm just about to throw the ball, but i know i'll fail. i jog over to him and place the ball in his glove, his face looking puzzled.

"eye on the ball, okay? got it? if the ball moves, you move your glove." he explains again. "okay..." i mumble. he throws the ball again, it going past me again. i run back over and grab it, then go back to my place. you can tell that Bill is getting annoyed with me. "okay. throw it back to me this time." he demands and i get flashbacks of those boys. i throw it, and it lands right infront of Bills feet, after rolling itself there.

he bends over and picks it up and gets back in position. "okay, y/n, keep your eye on the ball." he demands, more firmly this time. "okay. got it." i say, really wanting to catch this thing.

he throws it and it hits me square in the eye. "OW, AH MY EYE!" i groan, holding my eye. he walks me inside and sits me down in a chair, "what happened?" mom asks, stopping from doing dishes. she pulls Bills glove off of my hand, "ice honey, ice!" she tells Bill, him ignoring her. he then placed a huge and fat piece of meat on my eye, "here, just hold it up there, nice and hard, press it against there." he says and i press the meat harder onto my skin. "i just took my eye off the ball, mom." i explain. "yeah, but at least you caught it....ish. alright, just keep that on for like, an hour or so. it'll still hurt, but it'll stop the swelling." Bill says. "sorry, kiddo. gotta watch out for that curve."

i decide to just sit on the front porch, cus there's nothing else to do. i hear someone walk up to me, "hey" he says. "..hi..?" i reply. "i'm gonna go play some ball, and we need an extra player, you wanna go?" he asks. it's the boy i've seen. the only one who didn't make fun of me. "no. thanks." i answer, looking at my feet. "why not? don't you like baseball?" he asks. "yeah, a lot, but one, cus i'm a girl, and two, i can't play. plus all your friends hate me." i explain. "who cares? you've got potential. let's go." he says, holding out his hand. "but, i don't have a glove." i tell him. "oh, here." he says and pulls out an extra glove out of his pocket and hands it to me. i look up at his face and smile slightly. i take the glove in one hand and his hand in the other, getting up. he smiles too.

"hey, you look pretty badass with that eye there, by the way." he compliments as we're walking somewhere. idk where, i'm just following him. "ha, thanks. what's your name again?" i giggle and ask. "Benjamin, but you can call me Benny. everyone does." he answers. "okay then, Benny." i tease. we get to our destination and i see the same boys as yesterday.