part seven - The Sandlot

---------------------------------------------------
𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗺𝗲𝗮𝘁. 𝗪𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗻𝘆 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗯𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝘂𝘁𝘀 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗼𝗳, 𝗺𝗲𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗺𝗮𝘇𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗴𝗼𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗻. 𝗕𝘂𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗶 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗶𝘁 𝗺𝗲𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗺𝘆 𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗿𝗲 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿.
---------------------------------------------------
me and the eight boys were sitting in the sandlot treehouse, all of us trying to think of ideas to help us get the ball back.

suddenly, lightbulb.

"hey! i got it! why don't we just go over, knock on the door, and ask Mr. Mertle to get it for us?!" i explain my idea. some of the boys nod, but, "are you out of your mind?! Mr. Mertle is the meanest old man that ever lived. he's the one who made The Beast eat that kid!" Squints replies. he scoffs, "it's not an option, Smalls. forget about it!" Squints lectures me, leaving me hopeless. "oh....ok." i answer and look back down at my feet. "let's just look out the window" Squints suggests. everyone nods and stands up, walking to the window. there's two windows that lead into the backyard of The Beast, so not everyone can look. me and Bertram look out one of the windows and Ham, Squints and Yeah-Yeah look out the other one.

there is a baby doll with an arrow sticking in one of its eyes, two broken toy airplanes sitting on a barrel, a ripped kite, another metal airplane, but bigger and hanging from a tree branch. there's toys and sports equipment everywhere, scattered in the yard. The Beast snarls and a baseball comes flying out of his dog house. all of us come back into the treehouse. "he's daring us!" Timmy states. "we're on his territory now." Ham says. "anybody got any bright ideas?" Benny asks.

---------------------------------------------------
𝗔𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗲'𝗱 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗶𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹 𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗱, 𝘄𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗮𝗯𝘀𝗼𝗹𝘂𝘁𝗹𝗲𝘆 𝗻𝗼 𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗮 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗲 𝘄𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝗻𝗻𝗮 𝗱𝗼. 𝗦𝗼, 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗺𝗶𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗹𝘆.
---------------------------------------------------

~the next day~

we had been in the backyard of Timmy and Tommy's house, that also had a view of The Beast's backyard. we all helped get the bottom of the fence off with some tool that Kenny found in his garage, that must've been his dads. Squints was at the top of their treehouse, looking down, just so eyes were everywhere.

we had made a few crafts to use so getting the ball would be easier. so we got to work. Ham stuck the long stick Bertram had found in his backyard through the bottom of the fence. "go." Squints whispers, looking down at where the stick is, using an empty cereal box that he cut some holes into and made four cylinders, for handles and binoculars.

Ham starts to push the stick farther into the backyard, and stops after a second. "farther." Squints instructs. Ham pushes it farther, then stops. "just a little bit farther..." Squints says, Ham nodding.

as soon as Ham turns his face back to the fence, to push the stick in farther, we see a GAINT dog paw step on the end of the stick and on the entire baseball. Squints drops the cereal box and screams. we all scream loudly and back away, leaving Ham and The Beast playing tug-a-war with the stick. we all try and pull Ham back, trying to help him win the war, all of us still screaming bloody murder.

suddenly there's a snap and Ham and the rest of us fall backwards. we look at the stick and The Beast had bitten it in half, leaving the insides poking out and slobber dripping from it. we all scream and yell even more once we saw our stick, both scared, and disgusted.