Chapter Three

"Do you think Skylar's parent's will just let us in to her room to look at her book case?" Tabitha asked. She highly doubted that they would, I mean Skylar's mother had practically forced the police officers to question the group of girls. It was now late afternoon the day after all the crazy commotion had happened. The group had spent the morning at the town pool with the guys, the four boys wanted to take the girls out for some fun in the morning after everything that had happened the night before. And the group did have fun, they played marko polo and had a handstand competition like back in the good old days when they were young and carefree.

But now they had gone back to the crazy that was now their reality. They were seated on the cream colored leather seats of Charity's new deep red BMW F30, parked out the front of the Branning's house contemplating whether to sneak in to the house through Skylar's bedroom window which was on the second floor and probably nearly impossible to climb in the with the zero percent body strength that the three girls had or to just knock on the front door and ask if they could take a look in Skylar's room for clues, because they knew Skylar better than any old police officer. Thankfully due to their weak strength and common sense the girls chose the latter option.

The girls were here to find a book, it was the first charm on Skylar's bracelet, they had bought it for her to signify the first book that she had ever finished reading. Skylar didn't like reading much and she would never get to the ending, even though the ending of a book was the best part. Tabitha had convinced Skylar to read one of the weird dystopian novels that Tabitha loved so much. Turns out Skylar had really liked how brave and courageous the main character Beatrice was because it was the first book that Skylar had ever finished.

The three girls made there way up to the patio of the Branning's large victorian style house and Tabitha knocked on the door. It took only a few seconds for Tabitha's mother Diane Branning to open the door, she wore a fake smile as she did but you can tell from the red puffiness of her eyes that she had been crying for hours and judging by the big black bags underneath her eyes she probably hadn't slept last night either. Just like the group of seven that had slept at Tabitha's last name, she was to worried about Skylar to fall asleep.

"How can I help you girls?" Diane questioned the girls.

"We were wondering if we could go have a look around Skylar's room, we know her so much better than any stupid police office and we want to do the best we can to find out what's going on," Tabitha queried. Diane seemed to contemplate this for a second before stepping aside and opening the door wider so that Tabitha, Dakota and Charity could enter.

Tabitha shouted out a thank you to Diane before the three girls practically bounded up the wooden, spiral stairs that led to a guest room, a bathroom and Skylar's room which was probably the biggest room in the house, she even had her own walk-in closet with a special section for her shoes. She also had a balcony which the girls had painted a pastel purple during the summer between ninth and tenth grade because they had gotten bored and run out of summer activities. The only thing standing in the way of Skylar's bedroom and the balcony was a thin piece of glass with purple curtains over it so that people couldn't spy in to Skylar's room. She didn't use to have curtains up but after an incident the year before, where two freshman boys from school had taken pictures of her getting change and had posted pictures of her in her lacy blue underwear all over Burlingwood high school. 

Skylar's bedroom looked just as it did when the girls had seen it just three days ago, before any of this crazy stuff happened. Her massively wooden jewellery box still sat on her stark white desk, overfilling with silver and gold chains and diamond studded rings. Her journals from the last ten years sat at the top of her bookcase, full of secrets and life experiences that she had always felt the need to write down so as not to forget about any little detail of her life. Her massive collection of nail polish was spread out in a straight line across her desk, except for the one that had always been in the middle. A shimmery turquiose one, Butter London's Scallwag. Skylar's signature color, also the color or the writing on Tabitha's cabinet.