Hevensday Again

*For anyone wondering, Hevensday corresponds to Wednesday and Astron to April in the Shire Reckoning.*

Bilbo Baggins stared at his face in the mirror of Bag End.

His young, unwrinkled, fifty-year-old face.

In a Bag End before adventures.

What was going on? He was supposed to be in Valinor by now. Had Elrond given him a hallucinogenic sedative tea? The fusspot had been worried about a coughing fit, but this was a little much even for the overprotective healer.

A suspicion started growing in his mind, and Bilbo tore through the smial, searching for the calendar he used to mark off the days until the Summerdays Festival Conkers Competition.

When he finally found it, he stared at it in disbelief. Today was marked Hevensday 27 Astron, Third Age 2940.

Exactly a year before the Quest to reclaim Erebor.

He would not faint.

He would not faint.

He fainted.

oo0oo

When he came to he took a moment to wonder when the ceiling got taller before he realized he was laying down.

Young again. Right.

As Bilbo sat there trying to process everything, a thought came to him. Why? Why was he here?

He could save his dwarves.

The thought was as sudden as lightning, but it seemed there was really no other reason he could have sent back than to fix the world.

Well, he thought, no point in being useless for a year.

Guess he'd have to dig up his mother's old throwing knives.