𝟏𝟓| 𝐏𝐨𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐠𝐞

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

It was after my words had left my mouth when I realized the implications of it. A tense silence buzzed in between the two of us as we gazed into each other's eyes. His eyes were still masked in the darkness but nonetheless, I was able to feel them.

"What did you say?" He demanded, his hold on my arm tightened even more and it was after he'd spoken when I finally noticed the distance between us or the lack of distance between us.

A shiver ran down my spine before I finally let go of his tailcoat and tried to take a step back but the way he was holding my arm didn't allow me to do so. Up this close, I could feel this wave of power wash over me.

It was a strange feeling. It didn't feel like the power of money. It was a different kind of power. It was the kind of power that sent a shiver down my spine, that made me imagine things that weren't there, that made me feel things I'd never felt before.

Along with that, I could also feel his rage that was radiating off him. It surely felt dangerous but not to me.

I opened my mouth to answer him when we heard a noise at the other end of the corridor, making the two of us freeze again. Mr. Night straightened up, towering even more over me. He tore his eyes from mine at that moment and looked behind him.

I could hear the noises well. They were footsteps and voices of some people. The flash of the torch was bouncing off the walls but before it could hit us, Mr. Night was already pulling me aside and in the next moment, he was leading me down a corridor.

It was harder for me to keep up with his long strides but I tried despite the limitations imposed on me by my clothes that once belonged to the clown, I mean my cousin.

"Where are we going?" I asked him in a strained voice as he continued to tug me away from the voices and the light which seem to be chasing us. He didn't answer me.

We were walking at first but now, we were jogging as the voices continued to chase us. Mr. Night was leading me down several corridors and passages which seemed to spiral like a labyrinth. He seemed to know it very well because by the way he was taking the turns, it seemed like he knew where he was leading me.

"Mr. Night?" I urged him but instead of an answer, he replied me with this, "If we get caught tonight then it would be on you, Miss Maynard,"

His words made me swallow hard.

"Say no more," I told him before I fisted my skirt and lifted it far above my ankles before increasing my pace. Mr. Night seemed surprised by this sudden increase in my pace because he slowed down a bit, allowing me to catch up to him. I felt his eyes rake up and down but the sound of more footsteps catching up to us made him look forward and run faster.

"Faster," He hissed at me. I tried but that damned corset wasn't allowing me. He finally took a turn and opened a door to shove me inside it before he stepped inside as well and closed the door behind himself.

"Where's Filth?" I asked breathily.

"Who?" He asked me. I wasn't able to see his face in the dark but I was able to see him tilting his head aside.

"Your butler," I told him.

"He's called Frith,"

"Yes, where is he?" I asked him.

"You don't have to worry about him. Worry about yourself first," He shot back. There was enough darkness laced in his voice that sent a couple more shivers down my spine. I felt his glare in the dark before he turned around and pressed his ear to the door.