1

"Fuck" The sun was beating down on the tall girl when she finally came to.
It was quite disorienting at first, she wasn't used to it being so bright and intense, and it took her almost five minutes to readjust.

Memories of the previous night- was it the previous night? She didn't know how long she had been out- flooded back to her. She was on the small plane, seated between two rowdy boys when they had felt the first jolt of turbulence and were instructed to put their seatbelts on. Less than a minute later they were dropping, rapidly. She remembered hearing someone screaming about the missing wing and the boys around her crying for their mothers, and that was when she must've been knocked out.

Slowly and carefully, she got to her feet. Her body hurt, it seemed to her as if she had managed to injure every bone and muscle in her body, she hadn't even realized the tiny cuts that covered her legs yet. Ignoring the aching, she glanced around, turning a few times to make sure she had seen in every direction around her. To the right was a thick green forest and to the left was the vast ocean that stretched past the horizon. It was hot, very hot, and damp. These factors led her believe that they had landed on a tropical island, probably somewhere near the equator. Her thoughts were halted by a loud noise coming from the beach to her left. It almost sounded like that of a trumpet, but not quite.

Curiously and cautiously, she followed the noise down the beach's white sand. Soon she was met with the sight of a boy, about her age, standing on a large granite platform and blowing into a shell. Someone was sitting on the sand near the platform and wiping his glasses with the material of his shirt. She recognized both from the plane. Hoisting herself onto the platform, she waited silently as the boy continued to blow into the shell.

Slowly she began to notice boys emerging from the forest. They seemed to range in age, some looking as young as 5 and others looking her age of 15. The boy removed the shell from his mouth and turned to her, startled as he hadn't noticed her there before. She was preoccupied though, and he followed her gaze to a group of boys making their way down the beach toward them. They were dressed in black cloaks, 'much too hot for this kind of weather' she was thinking to herself, and marching in a sort of formation. The boy shifted his focus to the others running out of the forest. He estimated there was about 30 of them there from school but the girl standing near him proved there might be others.

Soon it seemed like the last of the boys had exited the protection of the forest and were now sitting in front of the platform, And finally the cloaked boys arrived, taking their respective places as well.

"Who's the man with the trumpet?" A skinny blond boy demanded. The girl noted that he was the leader of the cloaked boys. "There is no man with a trumpet, only me" The two boys continued to converse, at one point the leader commanded his group to take a seat.

The girl examined every face in the crowd, some of the younger boys had sticky faces from fruit and others were covered in dirt and grime.

She was snapped from her thoughts when one of the boys fainted, likely to heatstroke-the floor length cloak didn't help with surviving the island head. Much to her surprise no one blinked an eye, simply setting the boy on the granite platform and following the command of their leader. The tall girl was more concerned though and kneeled next to the boy, taking the time to remove his cape and toss it aside.

Everyone stared in silence as she examined the boy "He needs water" the blonde boy shut her down instantly "He'll be fine" He turned to the brunette again "Arent there any grownups?"
"No"
"We'll have to look after ourselves then"
The round boy with the glasses spoke up "That's why Ralph and I called a meeting..." She listened to the conversion but it was mainly teasing around and boys being immature. She took a mental note on who was who, Ralph was the brunette who had blown into the shell, Jack was the blonde kid who led the cloaked boys who were now being referred to as the choir kids, and the plumper boys with glasses had been given the nickname 'piggy' from the other boys. Other names were mentioned but she mainly caught the names of those speaking up.

"W-whats going on?" she glanced down and realized the boy had woken up "You fainted" standing up and holding a hand out for the boy, she was oblivious to the fact that all eyes were on her again. She helped him up, taking extra precaution to help the dizzy boy to a seat in the shade. Jack made a stupid joke about the one she was helping, Simon, and the crowd burst into laughter again. After he was situated she joined the group again, finally speaking up.
"We've got to figure out how to be rescued"
"We need to decide a chief!" Ralph contradicted.
"Why? No one wants to be bossed around." One of the younger boys shouted "You should be chief miss!"
"I don't want to be"
"Girls can't lead" One of the boys from the choir spat, and if it weren't for the crowd of boys between them she would've socked him in the face.
Suddenly everyone was shouting at once, all stating their opinions on who should be chief. "I ought to be" Jack said proudly. "No! Him with the trumpet is chief!" "What about her?" It was all giving the poor girl a headache. An overwhelming amount of boys were cheering for ralph. She couldn't begin to conceive why though. The most intelligent was obviously Piggy, why isnt he chief? Ralph smiled proudly as the boys shouted his name.

"What's your name, anyway" Jack shouted at the girl. "Stevie" she replied simply. "All right all right, we still need to vote... who thinks it should be me?" All the choir boys raised their hands obediently. "Who votes for me?" An overwhelming amount of hands were raised in support of Ralph "I'm chief then" He said proudly. Everyone cheered once again.

Stevie sighed and sat back down next to a recovered Simon. "We're never getting off this island"