3

The forest was alive and buzzing like any other early morning. Anyone who took a second to stop and look would notice the many thriving ecosystems that inhabited the island. From the drooping plants reaching for sunlight as it ascended over the horizon to the smallest of ants walking in formation along the damp floor. There were more species of birds and insects than any of the children could imagine. Of course, they didn't care enough to stop and consider this at all.
Simon did though.
He was peculiar, an outcast to his classmates, though not in the same way that Piggy was. They didn't mind being around him but they never really understood him, not that they cared to.

He carefully picked his way through the overgrown foliage, making his way towards a small clearing. Once he arrived at his destination he took a moment to appreciate the beauty of the island they had landed on. He took a deep breath, allowing the sweet air to fill his lungs, and sat on the dirt floor, running his hands over the small rocks and plants.

As peculiar as the other boys thought he was, he had something they didn't- a deep appreciation for life and the world around him.

Meanwhile, back at the small camp the group had made for themselves, kids were beginning to wake up and emerge from the makeshift shelters. Stevie was one of the last to get up, taking a minute to stretch out her long limbs and compose all her sleepy thoughts.

"There must be loads of pigs here, if we assemble a group and go hunting we'll catch one and have a feast!" Stevie looked to her left, Jack was talking rather loudly to the other choir kids, sharpened spear in hand. The others were cheering as he continued. "I've explored this whole island and there are pig runs everywhere! We'll paint our faces and surround one and then-" He made a jabbing motion with his spear toward the group of boys"-right up the arse!"
Stevie rolled her eyes "Jack and his bloodlust' she thought to herself, shaking her head and turning toward the ocean.

A group of littluns were chasing one another around, giggling feverishly as they pushed each other into the shallow water.

She thought about walking to the small clearing in the forest where she knew she would find Simon but decided against it, she knew he enjoyed being alone sometimes. "Good afternoon, sleepyhead," A voice said from behind her, shoving her gently. Ralph appeared at her side. "Hey its still morning, gimme a break" The two laughed looking back at the group of littluns.

The group of feral older boys finally made their way into the woods, chanting and singing loudly.
"Where are they going?"
"Hunting I guess, I overheard Jack saying something about killing a pig"
The boy rolled his eyes, similar to how she had reacted when the conversation first played out.

It was at least another hour or two later when Simon made his way back to the beach and joined the others. Ralph, Stevie, Simon, and Maurice were splashing around in the lagoon when Piggy stood up and pointed at the horizon
"Smoke! Smoke!"
The group stopped playing and stared in the direction he was pointing.
"I don't see any smoke"
"Wheres the ship?"
"There, look!"
There was a small cylinder of smoke, uncoiling toward the sky on the horizon.
"They'll see our smoke" Ralph spoke, they all turned in the other direction, peering at the mountain. "I know I can't see very much, but have we got any smoke?" Piggy mumbled. Ralph was still looking off at the horizon "The smoke on the mountain."

"Ralph... I don't think there is any smoke on the mountain" Stevie shouted to the boy, still staring at the mountain with a hand shading her eyes.

Ralph snapped around and stared in the direction the others were turned. He was already off, running through the thick forest toward the mountain. Piggy was shouting desperately after the others after they followed, and eventually tried to run himself.