𝟏.𝟎𝟖, grey as ash

𝐆 𝐑 𝐄 𝐘   𝐀 𝐒   𝐀 𝐒 𝐇

        "𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 you go," said Ron. "We got as much as we could carry."

A shower of brilliantly colored sweets fell into Harry's lap. It was dusk, and Ron and Hermione had just turned up in the common room, pink-faced from the cold wind and looking as though they'd had the time of their lives.

"Thanks," replied Harry, picking up a packet of tiny black Pepper Imps. "Where did you go?"

By the sound of it — everywhere. Dervish and Banges, the wizarding equipment shop, Zonko's Joke Shop, into the Three Broomsticks for foaming mugs of hot butterbeer, and many places besides.

"The post office! About two hundred owls, all sitting on shelves, all color-coded depending on how fast you want your letter to get there!"

"Honeydukes has got a new kind of fudge; they were giving out free samples, there's a bit, look—"

"We think we saw an ogre, honestly, they get all sorts at the Three Broomsticks—"

"Wish we could have brought you some butterbeer, really warms you up—"

"What did you two do?" asked Hermione, suddenly looking anxious. "Did you get any work done?"

"No," answered Melody, whose nose had been buried in her crossword puzzle. She looked up, now, and reached over to seize a package of Bertie Bott's. "We went on a walk with Lupin."

Just as she tore the packaging open, however, a blur of beige feathers shot in through the common room window. They all looked up — it was Petar's owl, Mirum.

Melody threw the jelly beans down, along with her crossword puzzle, and rushed over to grab the letter from the owl's taloned feet. Immediately, she recognized Petar's neat cursive handwriting on the front of the crisp envelope, spelling out "Melody Prewett".

Aware of Ron's disgusted expression, she gave him a bright smile and tore the letter open eagerly. Before long, Hermione clambered to her side and read over her shoulder.

Melody,

I hope your Quidditch practices are going well. I wish I could come see your first game, but I know you will be amazing. Viktor says he wishes you the best.

And yes — the weather has gotten colder here, but it is not too bad. Winter is the harshest of all.

Sorry I could not write much today. Our homework is dreadful.